From: Brendan Hide <brendan@swiftspirit.co.za>
To: Martin <m_btrfs@ml1.co.uk>, linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: What to do about snapshot-aware defrag
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2014 01:51:49 +0200	[thread overview]

On 2014/05/31 12:00 AM, Martin wrote:
> OK... I'll jump in...
>
> On 30/05/14 21:43, Josef Bacik wrote:
>> [snip]
>> Option 1: Only relink inodes that haven't changed since the snapshot was
>> taken.
>>
>> Pros:
>> -Faster
>> -Simpler
>> -Less duplicated code, uses existing functions for tricky operations so
>> less likely to introduce weird bugs.
>>
>> Cons:
>> -Could possibly lost some of the snapshot-awareness of the defrag.  If
>> you just touch a file we would not do the relinking and you'd end up
>> with twice the space usage.
> [...]
>

> Obvious way to go for fast KISS.

I second this - KISS is better.

Would in-band dedupe resolve the issue with losing the
"snapshot-awareness of the defrag"? I figure that if someone absolutely
wants everything deduped efficiently they'd put in the necessary
resources (memory/dedicated SSD/etc) to have in-band dedupe work well.
> One question:
>
> Will option one mean that we always need to mount with noatime or
> read-only to allow snapshot defragging to do anything?

That is a very good question. I very rarely have mounts without noatime
- and usually only because I hadn't thought of it.

--
Brendan Hide