From: Nikolay Borisov <nborisov@suse.com>
To: David Newall <btrfs@davidnewall.com>,
	Qu Wenruo <quwenruo.btrfs@gmx.com>,
	linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Mount/df/PAM login hangs during rsync to btrfs subvolume, or maybe doing btrfs subvolume snapshot
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 17:12:54 +0300	[thread overview]

On 12.09.19 г. 17:03 ч., David Newall wrote:
> Hello Qu,
>
> Thank you very much for helping me with this.
>
> On 12/9/19 4:35 pm, Qu Wenruo wrote:
>> Would you please check how fast (or how slow in this particular case)
>> the related disks are?
>> To me, it really looks like just too slow devices.
>
> I discover that you are correct about the underlying storage being
> slow.  Nikolay suggested that, too.
>
> Although I mentioned that the filesystem is encrypted with luks on the
> VM, I didn't say that the underlying storage is connected via multipath
> iSCSI (with two paths) on the host server, and provided to the VM via
> KVM as Virtio disk, which should be fine, but, using dd (bs=1024k
> count=15) on the VM, I'm seeing a woeful 255KB/s read speed through the
> encryption layer, and 274KB/s from the raw disk.  :-(
>
> On the host, I'm seeing 2MB/s via one path and 846KB/s via the other, so
> I think that's where I need to turn my attention.  (Time to benchmark,
> turn off one path, and speak to the DC management.)
>
>> I see all dumps are waiting for write_all_supers.
>>
>> Would you please provide the code context of
>> write_all_supers.isra.43+0x977?
>>
>> I guess it's wait_dev_flush(), which is just really waiting for disk
>> writes.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "code context".  Maybe the
> question is now moot.
>
> Although it's now apparent that I've got a really slow disk, I still
> wonder if btrfs is holding a lock for an unnecessarily long time
> (assuming that it is btrfs holding the lock.)  I feel that having to
> wait tens of minutes to find the device names of mounted devices could
> never be intended, so there might be something that needs tweaking.

With the kernel you are using that's how things were structured for
various reasons. Recent kernel versions do not take device_list_mutex
when printing the device name. So if you update your kernel to one which
contains :

88c14590cdd6 ("btrfs: use RCU in btrfs_show_devname for device list
traversal")

this particular problem would be gone. Looking at the history of that
commit this means kernel 4.17 at least.

<snip>