Linux-BTRFS Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Martin Steigerwald <martin@lichtvoll.de>
To: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org, Jens Bauer <jens-lists@gpio.dk>
Subject: Re: How robust is BTRFS?
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 08:59:38 +0100

Jens Bauer - 03.12.20, 03:53:11 CET:
> After correcting the problem, I got curious and listed the statistics
> for each partition. I had more than 100000 read/write errors PER DAY
> for 6 months. That's around 18 million read/write-errors, caused by
> drives turning on/off "randomly".
>
> AND ALL MY FILES WERE INTACT.

Awesome! Really awesome!

I am running BTRFS on a ThinkPad T520 since at least 2014. After all
these initial free space related issues went away with linux 4.5 or 4.6
I had no issues with it anymore. In part I use BTRFS RAID 1 with an
mSATA SSD on the laptop and it recovered from what I believe had been
power loss related errors on the mSATA SSD twice already. Of course that
is not anywhere near the dimension of errors the filesystem you have
experienced.

I use it on my backup drives and I use it on my server VMs.

It works for me.

Best,
--
Martin