* Disk space usage displayed incorrectly?
       [not found] <AANLkTinA2QCqlrGoRvUn_uAZ1NxPm65DksQQ9YBeHrqh@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-07-10  1:42 ` jck
From: jck @ 2010-07-10  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hello,
when i check diskspace usage of a btrfs partition using df i get the
wrong free space, this is expected i think.
However even when i use 'btrfs filesystem df' I get wrong freespace:
Data: total=123.58GB, used=87.31GB
Metadata: total=61.00GB, used=396.29MB
System: total=32.00MB, used=16.00KB

Does this mean that after the 123 GB of 'Data' fills up I wont be able
to add more stuff to the partition?
I'm using btrfs-progs-git (jul 10)

* Re: Disk space usage displayed incorrectly?
@ 2010-07-13  5:17       ` jck
From: jck @ 2010-07-13  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

I finally understood whats going on, thank you.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 9:32 AM, jck <jck@archlinux.us> wrote:
> I ran btrfs filesystem balance but now it has become like this:
>

> Metadata: total=3D5.00GB, used=3D507.25MB
> Data: total=3D113.58GB, used=3D89.51GB
> System: total=3D32.00MB, used=3D24.00KB
>
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 7:23 AM, jck <jck@archlinux.us> wrote:
>> I tested it and the partition gets filled at 123.58 GB, the 60GB is
>> getting wasted. is there anything i can do about this?
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Chris Mason <chris.mason@oracle.com=
> wrote:
>>>
>>> We do try to take the raid levels into account during df, but only =
for
>>> the space that is already allocated.

>>> This does reflect the space that is allocated, but the drive itself=
 may
>>> have more free space. =A0btrfs filesystem show will give you a few =
more
>>> details.
>>>
>>> Basically btrfs allocates from the drive in chunks of about 1GB and=
 then
>>> puts the file data or metadata into those chunks. =A0So if you do a=
 mkfs
>>> and then create one file, you might have 1TB of space on the drive =
that
>>> hasn't been allocated yet.
>>>
>>> -chris

in

* Re: Disk space usage displayed incorrectly?
@ 2010-07-13  4:02     ` jck
From: jck @ 2010-07-13  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Data: total=3D113.58GB, used=3D89.51GB
System: total=3D32.00MB, used=3D24.00KB

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 7:23 AM, jck <jck@archlinux.us> wrote:
> I tested it and the partition gets filled at 123.58 GB, the 60GB is
> getting wasted. is there anything i can do about this?
>
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Chris Mason <chris.mason@oracle.com>=
 wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 07:22:26AM +0530, jck wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> when i check diskspace usage of a btrfs partition using df i get th=
>>> wrong free space, this is expected i think.
>>
>> We do try to take the raid levels into account during df, but only f=
or
>> the space that is already allocated.
>>
>>> However even when i use 'btrfs filesystem df' I get wrong freespace=
:
>>> Data: total=3D123.58GB, used=3D87.31GB
>>> Metadata: total=3D61.00GB, used=3D396.29MB
>>> System: total=3D32.00MB, used=3D16.00KB
>>>
>>> Does this mean that after the 123 GB of 'Data' fills up I wont be a=
ble
>>> to add more stuff to the partition?
>>> I'm using btrfs-progs-git (jul 10)
>>
>> This does reflect the space that is allocated, but the drive itself =
may
>> have more free space. =A0btrfs filesystem show will give you a few m=
ore
>> details.
>>
>> Basically btrfs allocates from the drive in chunks of about 1GB and =
then
>> puts the file data or metadata into those chunks. =A0So if you do a =
mkfs
>> and then create one file, you might have 1TB of space on the drive t=
hat
>> hasn't been allocated yet.
>>
>> -chris

in

* Re: Disk space usage displayed incorrectly?
@ 2010-07-13  1:53   ` jck
From: jck @ 2010-07-13  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Mason, jck, linux-btrfs

I tested it and the partition gets filled at 123.58 GB, the 60GB is
getting wasted. is there anything i can do about this?

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Chris Mason <chris.mason@oracle.com> w=
rote:
> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 07:22:26AM +0530, jck wrote:
>> Hello,
>> when i check diskspace usage of a btrfs partition using df i get the
>> wrong free space, this is expected i think.
>
> We do try to take the raid levels into account during df, but only fo=
> the space that is already allocated.
>
>> However even when i use 'btrfs filesystem df' I get wrong freespace:
>> Data: total=3D123.58GB, used=3D87.31GB
>> Metadata: total=3D61.00GB, used=3D396.29MB
>> System: total=3D32.00MB, used=3D16.00KB
>>
>> Does this mean that after the 123 GB of 'Data' fills up I wont be ab=
le
>> to add more stuff to the partition?
>> I'm using btrfs-progs-git (jul 10)
>
> This does reflect the space that is allocated, but the drive itself m=
ay
> have more free space. =A0btrfs filesystem show will give you a few mo=
re
> details.
>
> Basically btrfs allocates from the drive in chunks of about 1GB and t=
hen
> puts the file data or metadata into those chunks. =A0So if you do a m=
kfs
> and then create one file, you might have 1TB of space on the drive th=
at
> hasn't been allocated yet.
>
> -chris

in

* Re: Disk space usage displayed incorrectly?
@ 2010-07-13  1:16 ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2010-07-13  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jck; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 07:22:26AM +0530, jck wrote:
> Hello,
> when i check diskspace usage of a btrfs partition using df i get the
> wrong free space, this is expected i think.

We do try to take the raid levels into account during df, but only for
the space that is already allocated.

> However even when i use 'btrfs filesystem df' I get wrong freespace:
> Data: total=123.58GB, used=87.31GB
> Metadata: total=61.00GB, used=396.29MB
> System: total=32.00MB, used=16.00KB
>
> Does this mean that after the 123 GB of 'Data' fills up I wont be able
> to add more stuff to the partition?
> I'm using btrfs-progs-git (jul 10)

This does reflect the space that is allocated, but the drive itself may
have more free space.  btrfs filesystem show will give you a few more
details.

Basically btrfs allocates from the drive in chunks of about 1GB and then
puts the file data or metadata into those chunks.  So if you do a mkfs

@ 2010-07-10  1:52 jck