Linux-BTRFS Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Alex Powell <alexj.powellalt@googlemail.com>
To: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Unable to delete device
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 11:44:36 +1030

Hi all,
I had a disk fail on my BTRFS RAID5 array. It is still mounting but
there are bad sectors which will switch the array to read only mode
when used.

I used "btrfs device delete /dev/sdd /mnt/data" to remove it from the
array. However it seems that it is only partially removing it from the
array and when it gets to the bad sectors it fails.

localhost ~ # btrfs device delete /dev/sdd /mnt/data
ERROR: error removing device '/dev/sdd': Input/output error

What is best practice for removing the drive from the array in this situation?

Kind Regards,
Alex Powell