From: Filipe Manana <fdmanana@gmail.com>
To: Zygo Blaxell <ce3g8jdj@umail.furryterror.org>
Cc: Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo@scientia.net>,
	linux-btrfs <linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Reproducer for "compressed data + hole data corruption bug, 2018 edition" still works on 4.20.7
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 10:37:14 +0000	[thread overview]

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 8:14 PM Zygo Blaxell
<ce3g8jdj@umail.furryterror.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 04:34:39PM +0100, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> > Hey.
> >

> > Thanks for your elaborate explanations :-)
> >

> > On Fri, 2019-02-15 at 00:40 -0500, Zygo Blaxell wrote:
> > > The problem occurs only on reads.  Data that is written to disk will
> > > be OK, and can be read correctly by a fixed kernel.
> > >
> > > A kernel without the fix will give corrupt data on reads with no
> > > indication of corruption other than the changes to the data itself.
> > >
> > > Applications that copy data may read corrupted data and write it back
> > > to the filesystem.  This will make the corruption permanent in the
> > > copied data.
> >
> > So that basically means even a cp (without refcopy) or a btrfs
> > send/receive could already cause permanent silent data corruption.
> > Of course, only if the conditions you've described below are met.
> >

> > > Given the age of the bug
> >
> > Since when was it in the kernel?
>
> Since at least 2015.  Note that if you are looking for an end date for
> "clean" data, you may be disappointed.

It's been around since compression was introduced (October 2008).
The read ahead path was buggy for the case where the same compressed extent
is shared consecutively. I fixed 2 bugs there back in 2015 but missed the case
where there's a hole that makes the compressed extent be shared with a non-zero
start offset, which is the case that was fixed recently.

--
Filipe David Manana,

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't — you're right.”