From: Benjamin Xiao <ben.r.xiao@gmail.com>
To: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Still seeing high autodefrag IO with kernel 5.16.5
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 12:05:44 -0800	[thread overview]

Hello all,

Even after the defrag patches that landed in 5.16.5, I am still seeing
lots of cpu usage and disk writes to my SSD when autodefrag is enabled.
I kinda expected slightly more IO during writes compared to 5.15, but
what I am actually seeing is massive amounts of btrfs-cleaner i/o even
when no programs are actively writing to the disk.

I can reproduce it quite reliably on my 2TB Btrfs Steam library
partition. In my case, I was downloading Strange Brigade, which is a
roughly 25GB download and 33.65GB on disk. Somewhere during the
download, iostat will start reporting disk writes around 300 MB/s, even
though Steam itself reports disk usage of 40-45MB/s. After the download
finishes and nothing else is being written to disk, I still see around
90-150MB/s worth of disk writes. Checking in iotop, I can see btrfs
cleaner and other btrfs processes writing a lot of data.

I left it running for a while to see if it was just some maintenance
tasks that Btrfs needed to do, but it just kept going. I tried to
reboot, but it actually prevented me from properly rebooting. After
systemd timed out, my system finally shutdown.

Here are my mount options:
rw,relatime,compress-force=zstd:2,ssd,autodefrag,space_cache=v2,subvolid=5,subvol=/

I've disabled autodefrag again for now to save my SSD, but just wanted
to say that there is still an issue. Have the defrag issues been fully
fixed or are there more patches incoming despite what Reddit and
Phoronix say? XD

Thanks!
Ben