From: Zygo Blaxell <ce3g8jdj@umail.furryterror.org>
To: "Juan Simón" <decedion@gmail.com>
Cc: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 48 seconds to mount a BTRFS hard disk drive seems too long to me
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 12:07:06 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jan 06, 2022 at 04:48:21PM +0100, Juan Simón wrote:
> Hard disk: 16TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 256MB CACHE
> Arch Linux
> Linux juan-PC 5.15.13-xanmod1-tt-1 #1 SMP Thu, 06 Jan 2022 12:14:06
> +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> btrfs-progs v5.15.1
>
> $ btrfs fi df /multimedia
> Data, single: total=10.89TiB, used=10.72TiB
> System, DUP: total=8.00MiB, used=1.58MiB
> Metadata, DUP: total=15.00GiB, used=13.19GiB
> GlobalReserve, single: total=512.00MiB, used=0.00B
>
> I have formatted it as BTRFS and the mounting options (fstab) are:
>
> /multimedia     btrfs
> rw,noatime,autodefrag,compress-force=zstd,nossd,space_cache=v2    0 0
>
> The disk works fine, I have not detected any problems but every time I
> reboot the system takes a long time due to the mounting of this drive
>
> $ systemd-analyze blame
> 48.575s multimedia.mount
>
> I find it too long to mount a drive, is this normal, is it because of
> one of the mounting options, or because of the size of the hard drive?

Worst-case, you'll need about one second of mounting time for every ~180
block groups on a spinning disk, which works out to about 89 seconds on
that drive when it's full.

It's a known issue, but it will require a disk format change to fix, so
it will likely be rolled into a larger change set like extent tree v2.