From: Qu Wenruo <quwenruo.btrfs@gmx.com>
To: Nikolay Borisov <nborisov@suse.com>,
	"Wilson, Ellis" <ellisw@panasas.com>,
	BTRFS <linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Btrfs_read_block_groups() delay (Was Re: BTRFS Mount Delay Time Graph)
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 11:43:42 +0800	[thread overview]

Now with a little larger fs (257G used, backed by HDD), the result is
much more obvious:

$ sudo perf ftrace -t function_graph \
                   -T open_ctree \
                   -T btrfs_read_block_groups \
                   -T check_chunk_block_group_mappings \
                   -T btrfs_read_chunk_tree \
                   -T btrfs_verify_dev_extents \
                   mount /dev/vdc /mnt/btrfs/

 3)               |  open_ctree [btrfs]() {
 3)               |    btrfs_read_chunk_tree [btrfs]() {
 3) * 69033.31 us |    }
 3)               |    btrfs_verify_dev_extents [btrfs]() {
 3) * 90376.15 us |    }
 3)               |    btrfs_read_block_groups [btrfs]() {
 2) $ 2733853 us  |    } /* btrfs_read_block_groups [btrfs] */
 2) $ 3168384 us  |  } /* open_ctree [btrfs] */

For btrfs_read_chunk_tree() and btrfs_verify_dev_extents(), combined
they take less than 160ms.
While for btrfs_read_block_groups() it take 2.7s while the total mount
time is 3.1s, meaning btrfs_read_block_groups() is already taking 87% of
the mount time.

I'll try to make btrfs BLOCK_GROUP_ITEM into one separate tree to make
they iterate just like chunks tree, and see how it will end up.

Thanks,
Qu