From: waxhead <waxhead@dirtcellar.net>
To: Zygo Blaxell <ce3g8jdj@umail.furryterror.org>
Cc: Btrfs BTRFS <linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Switching from spacecache v1 to v2
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 18:03:38 +0100	[thread overview]

Zygo Blaxell wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 01:27:57AM +0100, waxhead wrote:
>> A couple of months ago I asked on IRC how to properly switch from version 1
>> to version 2 of the space cache. I also asked if the space cache v2 was
>> considered stable.
>> I only remember what we talked about, and from what I understood it was not
>> as easy to switch as the wiki may seem to indicate.
>>
>> We run a box with a btrfs filesystem at 19TB, 9 disks, 11 subvolumes that
>> contains about 6.5 million files (and this number is growing).
>>
>> The filesystem has always been mounted with just the default options.
>>
>> Performance is slow, and it improved when I moved the bulk of the files to
>> various subvolumes for some reason. The wiki states that performance on very
>> large filesystems (what is considered large?) may degrade drastically.
>
> The important number for space_cache=v1 performance is the number of block
> groups in which some space was allocated or deallocated per transaction
> (i.e. the number of block groups that have to be updated on disk),
> divided by the speed of the drives (i.e. the number of seeks they can
> perform per second).
>
> "Large" could be 100GB if it was on a slow disk with a highly fragmented
> workload and low latency requirement.
>
> A 19TB filesystem has up to 19000 block groups and a spinning disk can do
> maybe 150 seeks per second, so a worst-case commit could take a couple of
> minutes.  Delete a few old snapshots, and you'll add enough fragmentation
> to touch a significant portion of the block groups, and thus see a lot
> of additional latency.
>
>> I would like to try v2 of the space cache to see if that improves speed a
>> bit.
>>
>> So is space cache v2 safe to use?!
>
> AFAIK it has been 663 days since the last bug fix specific to free space
> tree (a6d8654d885d "Btrfs: fix deadlock when using free space tree due
> to block group creation" from 5.0).  That fix was backported to earlier
> LTS kernels.
>
> We switched to space_cache=v2 for all new filesystems back in 2016, and
> upgraded our last legacy machine still running space_cache=v1 in 2019.
>
> I have never considered going back to v1:  we have no machines running
> v1, I don't run regression tests on new kernels with v1, and I've never
> seen a filesystem fail in the field due to v2 (even with the bugs we
> now know it had).
>
> IMHO the real question is "is v1 safe to use", given that its design is
> based on letting errors happen, then detecting and recovering from them
> after they occur (this is the mechanism behind the ubiquitous "failed to
> load free space cache for block group %llu, rebuilding it now" message).
> v2 prevents the errors from happening in the first place by using the
> same btrfs metadata update mechanisms that are used for everything else
> in the filesystem.
>
> The problems in v1 may be mostly theoretical.  I've never cared enough
> [...]

Well I did exactly as you said. I mounted the filesystem from a live CD
with -o clear_cache,space_cache=v2 and rebooted back into the system
(yes, the rootfs is btrfs).

Everything I am about to say is of course subjective, but the system is
significantly more snappy now - quite a lot too. So unless the live cd
with kernel 5.9 tuned something magnificent that has a nice effect on
5.8 as well the change to V2 space cache was significant on our box.

So if I may summarize... COW-ABUNGA! WOW!
Not sure why it had such a profound impact on performance, but perhaps
V2 should be the default?!