From: Lukas Middendorf <kernel@tuxforce.de>
To: Luis Chamberlain <mcgrof@kernel.org>, linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Cc: Antti Palosaari <crope@iki.fi>,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@kernel.org>,
	linux-media@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Is request_firmware() really safe to call in resume callback when /usr/lib/firmware is on btrfs?
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2020 20:51:35 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

I'm seeing system freezes during resuming from suspend to RAM if all of
the following is true:
1. /usr/lib/firmware is on btrfs
2. my Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD USB DVB tuner (contains si2168) is connected
3. the firmware file /usr/lib/firmware/dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw (or
knowledge about its non-existstence) is NOT in a cache in RAM

The exact outcome depends on whether or not I use nvidia or nouveau
driver an whether or not I have X running. With nvidia I only get some
kernel messages from suspend on screen, but the system does not seem to
react to anything (emergency FS sync magic sysrq sometimes works judging
from HDD-LED). With nouveau and X11 running I just get a black screen
with mouse cursor and no apparent reaction to key presses (again except
for emergency FS sync magic sysrq).
With nouveau but without X11 running the system even reacts to
ctrl+alt+F1/F2/F3, but only the first ttys are displaying anything and
login or any other input is not possible.
Unplugging the USB device after resume does not return the system back
to normal.

Details on the above conditions:
1. If /usr/lib/firmware is on ext4 everything works fine. I originally
noticed this with the complete / on btrfs vs. ext4, but putting
/usr/lib/firmware on a separate partition is sufficient to make it work
or fail, depending on the fs type.
2. The si2168 driver drivers/media/dvb-frontends/si2168.c has its
si2168_init() called during resume. In this function a call to
request_firmware() happens. The firmware is not actually loaded to the
device on boot or initial usb connection but just during resume and when
the DVB-Tuner is used.
3. a) if the device has been used and the firmware has already been
loaded, the load succeeds during resume
    b) if the firmware file is not present and the directory content of
/usr/lib/firmware has been listed (e.g. through loading of a different
firmware from there; by the nouveau driver in my case) the firmware load
fails but does not freeze the system
    c) manually reading the firmware files before suspend can make the
resume succeed, but this does not seem to be reliable
    d) modifying the si2168 by adding calls to firmware_request_cache()
in si2168_probe() makes the firmware loading during resume succeed.
    e) having the firmware files not installed freezes the system during
resume if the content of /usr/lib/firmware has not been listed before
suspend (e.g. installing the nvidia driver, so the nouveau driver does
not access this directory)
    f) the system freezes during resume if nothing has caused the
firmware file to be read from the drive before suspend

I have observed this with all kernel versions I have tested so far:
fedora kernels 5.5.18, 5.6.19, 5.7.9, 5.7.11
vanilla kernels 5.7.12, 5.8.0 and current master (git 06a81c1c)

Unfortunately I have not yet succeeded in getting useful debug output
(nothing is in the log files after a reset).  When I disable printk
console_suspend I can get some messages of the resume process but
nothing related to si2168 is shown on screen.

This certainly looks like the documented promise of request_firmware()
"The function can be called safely inside device’s suspend and resume
callback."
does not hold if the requested firmware files are residing on a btrfs.
The documentation of firmware_request_cache() states that this function
should be called before suspend if the firmware has not been loaded
earlier. From the combined documentation I would expect that
request_firmware() might fail during resume if the firmware is not yet
in cache, but it should not freeze the system.

I'm not sure who really is to blame here:
- BTRFS (ext4 is fine after all)
- the firmware loader because the implementation or the documentation
are wrong
- si2168 because of not loading the firmware or calling
firmware_request_cache() before suspend. Also I don't think it is even
necessary to load the firmware during resume, it should be sufficient to
load the firmware when the tuner is used. I'm not sure though whether
the dvb-frontend driver structure allows to properly distinguish between
resuming and initialization before device usage. The problem can
definitely be worked around here until the root cause is fixed. I can
provide a patch if this solution is seen as appropriate.

I'm putting all the maintainers and/or lists of the possible culprits on CC.

Best regards,

Lukas Middendorf