* File alteration events?
@ 2019-01-31 12:38 Ronald Schaten
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ronald Schaten @ 2019-01-31 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hello everybody...

This is my first mail to this list, and -- as much as I'd like to be --
I'm not a kernel developer. So please forgive me if this isn't the right
place for questions like this. I'm thankful for any pointer into the
right direction.

The question:

I'm looking for a solution to track file changes on a fairly large
filesystem. Many thousands of directories, millions of files.

The volume is shared to other computers, changes can come from different
sources (NFS, Samba, local access...). So I think the kernel or the
filesystem itself are the definitive source of information.

Does BTRFS have any mechanism that could be used to track every event?
Or do you happen to know if the kernel does?

What I tried till now:

- inotify: Doesn't work for a full volume, just for single inodes.

- fanotify: That's almost the solution, but I need to see rename and
  delete events, too.

- btrfs subvolume find-new: As far as I know that only finds changes
  between snapshots. I need something a little more real-timey, and I
  have to know if the file has been changed once or several times.

As I said: I'm thankful for any hint... thanks in advance!

Regards,
Ronald.

--
Ronald Schaten :: http://www.schatenseite.de