On 2019-01-21 11:54 p.m., Chris Murphy wrote: # > > I expect the last command to fail because 1.ro1 is not the parent of > 2.ro2. The command completes, and 2.ro2 is on the destination, and at > least in this simple example it contains the expected files. However > 'btrfs show' indicates that the "parent UUID" of 2.ro2 is the "UUID" > of 1.ro1, which is definitely wrong. So it's a legit bug, not just a > cosmetic problem due to lack of error checking. > This is, as far as I understand, exactly how it's *supposed* to work, at least, as documented. The only relationship needed between a "parent" snapshot, and the snapshot you're sending, is that the parent already exists on the destination. Your example would be completely counter-productive, since there is no data shared between the two, but perfectly legitimate. 1.ro1 is the parent of 2.ro2 because *you explicitly told it to*.