From: Martin <m_btrfs@ml1.co.uk>
To: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: What to do about snapshot-aware defrag
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 00:54:14 +0100	[thread overview]

On 02/06/14 14:22, Josef Bacik wrote:
> On 05/30/2014 06:00 PM, Martin wrote:
>> OK... I'll jump in...
>>
>> On 30/05/14 21:43, Josef Bacik wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> TL;DR: I want to only do snapshot-aware defrag on inodes in snapshots
>>> that haven't changed since the snapshot was taken.  Yay or nay (with a
>>> reason why for nay)
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> === Summary and what I need ===
>>>
>>> Option 1: Only relink inodes that haven't changed since the snapshot was
>>> taken.
[...]
>> Obvious way to go for fast KISS.
>>

>> One question:
>>
>> Will option one mean that we always need to mount with noatime or
>> read-only to allow snapshot defragging to do anything?
>>

> Yeah atime would screw this up, I hadn't thought of that.  With that
> being the case I think the only option is to keep the old behavior, we
> don't want to screw up stuff like this just because users used a backup
> program on their snapshot and didn't use noatime.  Thanks,

Not so fast into non-KISS!

The *ONLY* application that I know of that uses atime is Mutt and then
*only* for mbox files!...

NOTHING else uses atime as far as I know.

We already have most distros enabling reltime by default as a
just-in-case...

Can we not have noatime as the default for btrfs? Also widely note that
default in the man page and wiki and with why?...

*And go KISS and move on faster* better?

Myself, I still use Mutt sometimes, but no mbox, and all my filesystems
have been noatime for many years now with good positive results. (Both
home and work servers.)

Regards,
Martin