On 09.03.2021 21:45:58, Vincent MAILHOL wrote: > > On 3/8/21 5:34 PM, Vincent Mailhol wrote: > > > This driver supports the ES581.4, ES582.1 and ES584.1 interfaces from > > > ETAS GmbH (https://www.etas.com/en/products/es58x.php). > > > > > > Co-developed-by: Arunachalam Santhanam > > > Signed-off-by: Arunachalam Santhanam > > > Signed-off-by: Vincent Mailhol > > > > I'm not sure if you're supposed to change dql.min_limit from the driver. > > One thing for sure, I am the only one to do it. > > The reason to do so is because benchmarks show me that values > below this threshold are not good for this device (and I try to > be very permissive on the values). > > USB introduces a lot of latency and the small PDU of CAN does not > help. The BQL is here to remediate, however, the algorithms can > take time to adjust, especially if there are small bursts. > Modifying the dql.min_limit was the only solution I found to make > sure that packets can be sent in bulk even during small burst > events. > > The BQL was not designed for USB nor was it designed for CAN > which probably explains why I am the first one to ever have > thought of using dql.min_limit like this. We can try to sneak it into the kernel or ask on the net-dev list for a proper interface[1] for setting sensible defaults to the min_limit. > Using dql.min_limit is a hack and I pledge guilty for it. However, > because this hack brings performance improvement, I would like to keep > it if you do not mind. Your explanation is very good and clear, what about sending new mail with this problem description to the netdev list? A proper solution might be something like dql_set_min_limit() with a static inline no-op of BQL is disabled. Looking at 114cf5802165 ("bql: Byte queue limits"), you want to include: - Tom Herbert - Eric Dumazet Marc [1] Having ifdefs to set the value in the driver is clearly a sign of some misuse :) -- Pengutronix e.K. | Marc Kleine-Budde | Embedded Linux | https://www.pengutronix.de | Vertretung West/Dortmund | Phone: +49-231-2826-924 | Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686 | Fax: +49-5121-206917-5555 |