On 06.09.2021 23:17:40, Vincent MAILHOL wrote: > > > To prevent this from happening, we do a local copy of can_priv, work > > > on it, an copy it at the very end of the function (i.e. only if all > > > previous checks succeeded). > > > > I don't like the optimization of using a static priv. If it's too big to > > be allocated on the stack, allocate it on the heap, i.e. using > > kmemdup()/kfree(). > > The static declaration is only an issue of coding style, correct? I don't know (but I haven't checked) if the coding style doc says anything about that. > Or is there an actual risk of doing so? As you pointed out, this relies on the serialization of the changelink callback by the networking stack. There's no sane way in C to track this requirement in the networking stack, so I don't want to have any roadblocks and/or potential bugs in the CAN code. Marking a variable as static places it in the BSS section, right? This mean, the memory is always "used", even if not setting the bitrate. > This is for my understanding, I will remove the static > declaration regardless of your answer. tnx > On my x86_64 machine, sizeof(priv) is 448 and if I declare priv on the stack: > | $ objdump -d drivers/net/can/dev/netlink.o | ./scripts/checkstack.pl > | 0x00000000000002100 can_changelink []: 1200 > > So I will allocate it on the heap. Sounds reasonable. > N.B. In above figures CONFIG_CAN_LEDS is *off* because that driver > was tagged as broken in: > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=30f3b42147ba6f29bc95c1bba34468740762d91b ok - BTW: I think we can remove LEDs support now, it's marked as broken for more than 3 years. > > > Once this done, there is no more need to have a temporary variable for > > > a specific parameter. As such, the bittiming and data bittiming (bt > > > and dbt) are directly written to the temporary priv variable. > > > > > > Finally, function can_calc_tdco() was retrieving can_priv from the > > > net_device and directly modifying it. We changed the prototype so that > > > it instead writes its changes into our temporary priv variable. > > > > Is it possible to split this into a separate patch, so that the part > > without the tdco can be backported more easily to older kernels not > > having tdco? The patch fixing the tdco would be the 2nd patch... > > ACK. I will send a v3 with that split. Thanks for helping taking care of the LTS kernels! regards, Marc -- Pengutronix e.K. | Marc Kleine-Budde | Embedded Linux | https://www.pengutronix.de | Vertretung West/Dortmund | Phone: +49-231-2826-924 | Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686 | Fax: +49-5121-206917-5555 |