On 18.05.2022 15:10:44, Oliver Hartkopp wrote: > On 18.05.22 14:03, Vincent MAILHOL wrote: > > I didn't think this would trigger such a passionate discussion! > > :-D > > Maybe your change was the drop that let the bucket run over ;-) It's so trivial that everybody feels the urge to say something. :D > > > But e.g. the people that are running Linux instances in a cloud only > > > using vcan and vxcan would not need to carry the entire infrastructure > > > of CAN hardware support and rx-offload. > > > > Are there really some people running custom builds of the Linux kernel > > in a cloud environment? The benefit of saving a few kilobytes by not > > having to carry the entire CAN hardware infrastructure is blown away > > by the cost of having to maintain a custom build. > > When looking to the current Kconfig and Makefile content in > drivers/net/can(/dev) there is also some CONFIG_CAN_LEDS which "depends on > BROKEN" and builds a leds.o from a non existing leds.c ?!? > > Oh leds.c is in drivers/net/can/leds.c but not in drivers/net/can/dev/leds.c > where it could build ... ? > > So what I would suggest is that we always build a can-dev.ko when a CAN > driver is needed. > > Then we have different options that may be built-in: > > 1. netlink hw config interface > 2. bitrate calculation > 3. rx-offload > 4. leds > > E.g. having the netlink interface without bitrate calculation does not make > sense to me too. ACK > > I perfectly follow the idea to split rx-offload. Integrators building > > some custom firmware for an embedded device might want to strip out > > any unneeded piece. But I am not convinced by this same argument when > > applied to v(x)can. > > It does. I've seen CAN setups (really more than one or two!) in VMs and > container environments that are fed by Ethernet tunnels - sometimes also in > embedded devices. > > > A two level split (with or without rx-offload) is what makes the most > > sense to me. > > > > Regardless, having the three level split is not harmful. And because > > there seems to be a consensus on that, I am fine to continue in this > > direction. > > Thanks! > > Should we remove the extra option for the bitrate calculation then? +1 > And what about the LEDS support depending on BROKEN? > That was introduced by commit 30f3b42147ba6f ("can: mark led trigger as > broken") from Uwe as it seems there were some changes in 2018. There's a proper generic LED trigger now for network devices. So remove LED triggers, too. Marc -- Pengutronix e.K. | Marc Kleine-Budde | Embedded Linux | https://www.pengutronix.de | Vertretung West/Dortmund | Phone: +49-231-2826-924 | Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686 | Fax: +49-5121-206917-5555 |