On 03/14/2015 03:38 PM, Ahmed S. Darwish wrote: >> Applied to can. This will go into David's net tree and finally into >> net-next. Then I'll apply patches 2+3. Nag me, if I forget about them ;) >> > > Thanks! :-) > > So if I've understood correctly, this patch will go to -rc5 and > the rest will go into net-next? > > If so, IMHO patch #2 should also go to -rc5. I know it's usually > frowned up on to add further patches at this late -rc stage, but > here's my logic: > > The original driver code just _arbitrarily_ assumed a MAX_TX_URB > value of 16 parallel transmissions. This value was chosen, it seems, > because the driver was heavily based on esd_usb2.c and the esd code > just did so :-( > > Meanwhile, in the Kvaser hardware at hand, if I've increased the > driver's max parallel transmissions little above the recommended > limit reported by firmware, the firmware breaks up badly, reports a > massive list of internal errors, and the candump traces becomes > sort of an internal mess hardly related to the actual frames sent > and received. In this particular hardware, what's the limit as reported by the firmware? > In my case, I was lucky that the brand we own here (*) had a higher > max outstanding transmissions value than 16. But if there is hardware Okay - higher. > out there with a max oustanding tx support < 16 (#), such hardware > will break badly under a heavy transmission load :-( I see. If you add this motivation to the patch description and let the subject reflect that this is a "fix" or safety measure rather than a possible performance improvement, no-one will say anything against this patch :D > (*) http://www.kvaser.com/products/kvaser-usb-hs-ii-hsls/ > > (#) There are a huge list of Kvaser products having the same controller > but with different performance metrics, so this is quite a > possiblity. Marc -- Pengutronix e.K. | Marc Kleine-Budde | Industrial Linux Solutions | Phone: +49-231-2826-924 | Vertretung West/Dortmund | Fax: +49-5121-206917-5555 | Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686 | http://www.pengutronix.de |