linux-cifs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Rohith Surabattula <rohiths.msft@gmail.com>
To: Tom Talpey <tom@talpey.com>
Cc: "Shyam Prasad N" <nspmangalore@gmail.com>,
	linux-cifs <linux-cifs@vger.kernel.org>,
	"Steve French" <smfrench@gmail.com>,
	"Pavel Shilovsky" <piastryyy@gmail.com>,
	sribhat.msa@outlook.com,
	"ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@gmail.com>,
	"Aurélien Aptel" <aaptel@suse.com>
Subject: Re: cifs: Deferred close for files
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 08:12:26 +0530	[thread overview]

>>> Hi Rohith,
>>>
>>> The changes look good at a high level.
>>>
>>> Just a few points worth checking:
>>> 1. In cifs_open(), should be perform deferred close for certain cases
>>> like O_DIRECT? AFAIK, O_DIRECT is just a hint to the filesystem to
>>> perform less data caching. By deferring close, aren't we delaying
>>> flushing dirty pages? @Steve French ?
>>
>> With O_DIRECT flag, data is not cached locally and will be sent to
>> server immediately.
>>
>>> 2. I see that you're maintaining a new list of files for deferred
>>> closing. Since there could be a large number of such files for a big
>>> share with sufficient I/O, maybe we should think of a structure with
>>> faster lookups (rb trees?).
>>> I know we already have a bunch of linked lists in cifs.ko, and we need
>>> to review perf impact for all those lists. But this one sounds like a
>>> candidate for faster lookups.
>>
>> Entries will be added into this list only once file is closed and will
>> remain for acregmax amount interval.

>I think you mean once the "file descriptor" is closed, right? But now
>that you mention it, caching the attributes sounds a lot like the
>NFS close-to-open semantic, which is itself optional with the "nocto"
>mount option.

>Because some applications use close() to perform flush, there may be
>some silent side effects as well. I don't see anything special in the
>patch regarding this. Have you considered it?
>The change to promptly close the handle on oplock or lease break looks
>reasonable. The rewording in the patch description is better too.

Yes, as the handle is closed immediately when oplock/lease breaks,
will there be any
silent side effects still?

>>> What happens if the handle is durable or persistent, and the connection
>>> to the server times out? Is the handle recovered, then closed?
>>
>> Do you mean when the session gets reconnected, the deferred handle
>> will be recovered and closed?

>Yes, because I expect the client to attempt to reclaim its handles upon
>reconnection. I don't see any particular code change regarding this.

>My question is, if there's a deferred close pending, should it do that,
>or should it simply cut to the chase and close any such handle(s)?

As the handles are persistent once the session gets reconnected,
applications can reclaim
the handle. So, i believe no need to close handles immediately until
timeout(i.e acregmax interval)

Regards,
Rohith