linux-cifs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* DFS name resolution bug
@ 2021-07-09 22:46 Steve French
From: Steve French @ 2021-07-09 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CIFS; +Cc: Paulo Alcantara

I saw a strange error testing DFS today.

When I connected to the server it gave out the referrals with the
server hostname.  Since the client wasn't configured for DNS, I had
added an entry in /etc/hosts for that hostname with the correct ip
address.

When I ping the hostname it works ... but mount still fails and in
cifs.ko I get "dnfs_resolve_server_name_to_ip: unable to resolve: ..."

It looks like a locally configured (/etc/hosts) address doesn't work
with DFS on Linux client.

Ideas?

Steve

* Re: DFS name resolution bug
@ 2021-07-09 23:13 ` Steve French
From: Steve French @ 2021-07-09 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CIFS; +Cc: Paulo Alcantara

nevermind - user error

keyutils was not installed as a dependency of cifs-utils ... so had to
install keyutils

On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 5:46 PM Steve French <smfrench@gmail.com> wrote:

> I saw a strange error testing DFS today.
>
> When I connected to the server it gave out the referrals with the
> server hostname.  Since the client wasn't configured for DNS, I had
> added an entry in /etc/hosts for that hostname with the correct ip
> address.
>
> When I ping the hostname it works ... but mount still fails and in
> cifs.ko I get "dnfs_resolve_server_name_to_ip: unable to resolve: ..."
>
> It looks like a locally configured (/etc/hosts) address doesn't work
> with DFS on Linux client.
>
> Ideas?
>
> --
> Thanks,