linux-cifs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Steve French <smfrench@gmail.com>
To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org>
Cc: Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@oracle.com>,
	Namjae Jeon <namjae.jeon@samsung.com>,
	CIFS <linux-cifs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [bug report] cifsd: introduce SMB3 kernel server
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 10:07:12 -0500	[thread overview]

Namjae was working on a better high level summary of status so I would
expect to see a better description of that posted soon.  They also
restructured the patch set into a smaller set since rereviewing years
of their incremental patches would be far more time consuming.  It has
been presented over the past year or so at various conferences.
Although he had done a good job presenting on cifsd at the big Storage
Developer Conference last year (and also SambaXP etc.), a lot had
improved recently (e.g. it already passes more xfstests than many
servers).  There have been posts about cifsd on samba-technical and
linux-cifs where issues overlapped (e.g. compatibility with attributes
that Samba currently saves as xattrs) so the project is well known at
least among the samba community (and apparently it is commonly shipped
in various embedded devices already).   There is also a public mailing
list for the project so some of the discussion among the core group of
developers working on it most is probably on that.

I have been focused on testing it with Linux client.  See e.g. the run
from a couple days ago

     http://smb3-test-rhel-75.southcentralus.cloudapp.azure.com/#/builders/8/builds/26

and I have been pleasantly surprised at the progress, and have been
trying to make sure the test results are very visible, but as Ronnie
and others have mentioned, cifsd has already been very very useful for
testing the client (Samba is harder to tweak for testing).

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 8:14 AM Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 04:12:17PM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> > [ The fs/cifsd/ directory needs to be added to the MAINTAINERS file
> >   so this stuff goes through linux-cifs@vger.kernel.org ]
>
> Err, how did this hit linux-next?  I've never even seen the code posted
> to a mailing list.

Steve