linux-cifs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Pavel Shilovsky <piastryyy@gmail.com>
To: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@gmail.com>
Cc: "James Wettenhall" <james.wettenhall@monash.edu>,
	"Aurélien Aptel" <aaptel@suse.com>,
	"Steve French" <smfrench@gmail.com>,
	CIFS <linux-cifs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Frequent reconnections / session startups?
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 10:58:44 -0700	[thread overview]

вт, 17 сент. 2019 г. в 23:49, ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 4:16 PM James Wettenhall
> <james.wettenhall@monash.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Pavel,
> >
> > We've been running Kernel v5.2.14 over the past week (updated using
> > Ukuu) and it seems to have improved the situation considerably.
>
> Thank you for the feedback.
> This is very good news.
>

> > I assume that the "nohandlecache" mount option recommendation was just for v5.0.

Glad to know that the situation have improved for your workload.
Thanks for the feedback.

v5.2 kernel has many fixes preventing reconnects that's probably why
you stopped observing the original problem. The latter haven't been
completely fixed yet in v5.2.y yet. We have a patch in for-next that
aims to fix it but it haven't been sent to the mainline yet, see

https://git.samba.org/?p=sfrench/cifs-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=96d9f7ed00b86104bf03adeffc8980897e9694ab.

Once it is there, it should be automatically picked up for backporting
to all active stable kernels it applies to.

In the meantime, If you start hitting the issue again, please try
mount option "nohandlecache" as a workaround.

--
Best regards,
Pavel Shilovsky