Linux-Crypto Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Eric Curtin <ericcurtin17@gmail.com>
To: Kernel development list <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	linux-crypto@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Looking for an open-source thesis idea
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 21:52:22 +0100

Hi Guys,

Hope I'm not bothering you. I'm looking for a masters thesis idea, and
if possible doing one related to open source software (of course I
have the option of tying it in to the Powermax kernel I work on also
with Dell). One idea that sprung to mind is, I'm really liking this
new QUIC (UDP) protocol as an alternative to TCP over TLS. And with
the growth of new modern secure protocols like Wireguard. I was
wondering, would it be an idea to do a monolithic secure TCP protocol
(as an alternative to TCP over TLS) as a small thesis project or is it
as hard as the guys at Google make is sound?

"Because TCP is implemented in operating system kernels, and middlebox
firmware, making significant changes to TCP is next to impossible."

I'm open to any other suggestions also for my thesis :)

The middlebox firmware sounds like it could be the issue I guess.