linux-cxl.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Dragan Stancevic <dragan@stancevic.com>
To: "Huang, Ying" <ying.huang@intel.com>
Cc: Mike Rapoport <rppt@kernel.org>,
	Kyungsan Kim <ks0204.kim@samsung.com>,
	dan.j.williams@intel.com, lsf-pc@lists.linux-foundation.org,
	linux-mm@kvack.org, linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org,
	linux-cxl@vger.kernel.org, a.manzanares@samsung.com,
	viacheslav.dubeyko@bytedance.com, nil-migration@lists.linux.dev
Subject: Re: FW: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] SMDK inspired MM changes for CXL
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 17:27:22 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi Ying-

On 4/4/23 01:47, Huang, Ying wrote:
> Dragan Stancevic <dragan@stancevic.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> On 4/3/23 03:44, Mike Rapoport wrote:
>>> Hi Dragan,

>>> Let me reiterate to make sure I understand your example.
>>> If we focus on VM usecase, your suggestion is to store VM's memory and
>>> associated KVM structures on a CXL.mem device shared by several nodes.
>>
>> Yes correct. That is what I am exploring, two different approaches:
>>
>> Approach 1: Use CXL.mem for VM migration between hypervisors. In this
>> approach the VM and the metadata executes/resides on a traditional
>> NUMA node (cpu+dram) and only uses CXL.mem to transition between
>> hypervisors. It's not kept permanently there. So basically on
>> hypervisor A you would do something along the lines of migrate_pages
>> into cxl.mem and then on hypervisor B you would migrate_pages from
>> cxl.mem and onto the regular NUMA node (cpu+dram).
>>
>> Approach 2: Use CXL.mem to cluster hypervisors to improve high
>> availability of VMs. In this approach the VM and metadata would be
>> kept in CXL.mem permanently and each hypervisor accessing this shared
>> memory could have the potential to schedule/run the VM if the other
>> hypervisor experienced a failure.
>>
>>> Even putting aside the aspect of keeping KVM structures on presumably
>>> slower memory,
>>
>> Totally agree, presumption of memory speed dully noted. As far as I am
>> aware, CXL.mem at this point has higher latency than DRAM, and
>> switched CXL.mem has an additional latency. That may or may not change
>> in the future, but even with actual CXL induced latency I think there
>> are benefits to the approaches.
>>
>> In the example #1 above, I think even if you had a very noisy VM that
>> is dirtying pages at a high rate, once migrate_pages has occurred, it
>> wouldn't have to be quiesced for the migration to happen. A migration
>> could basically occur in-between the CPU slices, once VCPU is done
>> with it's slice on hypervisor A, the next slice could be on hypervisor
>> B.
>>
>> And the example #2 above, you are trading memory speed for
>> high-availability. Where either hypervisor A or B could run the CPU
>> load of the VM. You could even have a VM where some of the VCPUs are
>> executing on hypervisor A and others on hypervisor B to be able to
>> shift CPU load across hypervisors in quasi real-time.
>>

>>> what ZONE_EXMEM will provide that cannot be accomplished
>>> with having the cxl memory in a memoryless node and using that node to
>>> allocate VM metadata?
>>
>> It has crossed my mind to perhaps use NUMA node distance for the two
>> approaches above. But I think that is not sufficient because we can
>> have varying distance, and distance in itself doesn't indicate
>> switched/shared CXL.mem or non-switched/non-shared CXL.mem. Strictly
>> speaking just for myself here, with the two approaches above, the
>> crucial differentiator in order for #1 and #2 to work would be that
> [...]

I like the CXL.mem as a NUMA node approach, and also think it's best to
do this with move/migrate_pages and numactl and those a & b are good
choices.

I think there is an option c too though, which is an amalgamation of a &
b. Here is my thinking, and please do let me know what you think about
this approach.

If you think about CXL 3.0 shared/switched memory as a portal for a VM
to move from one hypervisor to another, I think each switched memory
should be represented by it's own node and have a distinct type so the
migration path becomes more deterministic. I was thinking along the
lines that there would be some kind of user space clustering/migration
app/script that runs on all the hypervisors. Which would read, let's say
/proc/pagetypeinfo to find these "portals":
Node 4, zone Normal, type Switched ....
Node 6, zone Normal, type Switched ....

Then it would build a traversal Graph, find per hypervisor reach and
critical connections, where critical connections are cross-rack or
cross-pod, perhaps something along the lines of this pseudo/python code:
class Graph:
	def __init__(self, mydict):
		self.dict = mydict
		self.visited = set()
		self.critical = list()
		self.reach = dict()
		self.id = 0
	def depth_first_search(self, vertex, parent):
		self.visited.add(vertex)
		if vertex not in self.reach:
			self.reach[vertex] = {'id':self.id, 'reach':self.id}
			self.id += 1
		for next_vertex in self.dict[vertex] - {parent}:
			if next_vertex not in self.visited:
				self.depth_first_search(next_vertex, vertex)
			if self.reach[next_vertex]['reach'] < self.reach[vertex]['reach']:
				self.reach[vertex]['reach'] = self.reach[next_vertex]['reach']
		if parent != None and self.reach[vertex]['id'] ==
self.reach[vertex]['reach']:
			self.critical.append([parent, vertex])
		return self.critical

critical = mygraph.depth_first_search("hostname-foo4", None)

that way you could have a VM migrate between only two hypervisors
sharing switched memory, or pass through a subset of hypervisors (that
don't necessarily share switched memory) to reach it's destination. This
may be rack confined, or across a rack or even a pod using critical
connections.

Long way of saying that if you do a) then the clustering/migration
script only sees a bunch of nodes and a bunch of normal zones it
wouldn't know how to build the "flight-path" and where to send a VM.
You'd probably have to add an additional interface in the kernel for the
script to query the paths somehow, where on the other hand pulling
things from proc/sys is easy.

And then if you do b) and put it in an existing NUMA and with a
"Switched" type, you could potentially end up with several "Switched"
types under the same node. So when you numactl/move/migrate pages they
could go in either direction and you could send some pages through one
"portal" and others through another "portal", which is not what you want
to do.

That's why I think the c option might be the most optimal, where each
switched memory has it's own node number. And then displaying type as
"Switched" just makes it easier to detect and Graph the topology.

And with regards to an ABI, I was referring to an ABI needed between the
kernels running on separate hypervisors. When hypervisor B boots, it
needs to detect through an ABI if this switched/shared memory is already
initialized and if there are VMs in there which are used by another
hypervisor, say A. Also during the migration, hypervisors A and B would
have to use this ABI to synchronize the hand-off between the two
physical hosts. Not an all-inclusive list, but I was referring to those
types of scenarios.

What do you think?

--
Peace can only come as a natural consequence
of universal enlightenment -Dr. Nikola Tesla