On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 10:01:25AM +0100, Linus Walleij wrote: > On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Thierry Reding wrote: > > > From: Thierry Reding > > > > This is an old version of the binding that isn't flexible enough to > > describe all aspects of the XUSB pad controller. Specifically with the > > addition of XUSB support (for SuperSpeed USB) the existing binding is > > no longer suitable. > > > > Signed-off-by: Thierry Reding > > That's unfortunate, not to say unelegant. I want to know Stephen's > opinion on these patches (probably they are in another mail) > before merging. > > Will the new binding also work with SuperDuperSpeed USB and > SuperSuperMegaUltraOrtonSpeed USB I wonder... or will we > change the bindings again? To answer this question: yes, I think that it will be flexible enough to support future generations of this IP, provided that the design doesn't change in a fundamental way. The change from the pinctrl-based bindings to this new one is that each lane provided by the XUSB pad controller is exposed as a separate PHY object and hence allows fine-grained control over when which lane is powered up. It also allows each lane to be easily configured because it has its own device tree node. Thierry