On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 08:50:09AM -0600, Andrew F. Davis wrote: > On 12/12/2017 06:01 AM, Mark Brown wrote: > > On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 01:01:56PM -0600, Andrew F. Davis wrote: > >> The TAS5722 supports modifying volume in 0.25dB steps (as opposed to 0.5dB > >> steps on the TAS5720). Introduce a custom mixer control that allows taking > >> advantage of this finer output volume granularity. > > Don't do this, it's just making things more complicated. Instead do > > what other drivers do and register different sets of controls depending > > on which part you're working with. The normal thing is to have a big > > table for all the shared controls that are the same on all variants then > > register additional tables during probe with those that vary for the > > individul devices. > That is what we are doing here, the reason for the custom mixer control > is that the controlled bits span two registers in a odd way that is not > supported by the standard handlers. That's not clear from the commit message, it sounds like you're introducing an an extra control rather than replacing the one that's currently there. > > As ever all volume controls should end in Volume (like the immediately > > adjacent control does). > This was done so this table exactly matches the existing table. If you > would like me to change this then I can, and can do it for the other > table as well, up to you. Of course fixes for bugs in existing code are welcome.