devicetree.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Need some advices on Yaml conversion
@ 2020-10-06 14:56 Jérôme Pouiller
From: Jérôme Pouiller @ 2020-10-06 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devicetree

Hello,

In order to get the wfx driver out of the staging area, I try to convert
the following DT bindings to YAML:

  drivers/staging/wfx/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/wireless/siliabs,wfx.txt

Unfortunately, the conversion is not straight forward. The WFx device can
be connected on SPI or on SDIO. The requirement for the two interfaces are
different. For exemple:
  - <reg> should be set to 1 in SDIO, while it corresponds to the Chip
    Select in SPI
  - The attribute reset-gpios is not available in SDIO
  - The "interrupt" does not have the same exact meaning in SPI and SDIO
    (it is required in SPI, but not in SDIO)

I have considered to declare two different devices, but I am not sure the
dtbs_checker will appreciate to have two definitions of the same device.
In add, some attribute descriptions would be redundant.

I also considered to use conditional statements, but I didn't find how to
check the bus that the device currently use.

Does anyone has some advice about the way to achieve that?

Thank you,

--
Jérôme Pouiller

* Re: Need some advices on Yaml conversion
@ 2020-10-06 20:08 ` Rob Herring
From: Rob Herring @ 2020-10-06 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérôme Pouiller; +Cc: devicetree

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 9:57 AM Jérôme Pouiller
<jerome.pouiller@silabs.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In order to get the wfx driver out of the staging area, I try to convert
> the following DT bindings to YAML:
>
>   drivers/staging/wfx/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/wireless/siliabs,wfx.txt
>
> Unfortunately, the conversion is not straight forward. The WFx device can
> be connected on SPI or on SDIO. The requirement for the two interfaces are
> different. For exemple:
>   - <reg> should be set to 1 in SDIO, while it corresponds to the Chip
>     Select in SPI

What's important for 'reg' is how many entries. The bus defines that
in both cases here IIRC, so just 'reg: true' is sufficient.

>   - The attribute reset-gpios is not available in SDIO
>   - The "interrupt" does not have the same exact meaning in SPI and SDIO
>     (it is required in SPI, but not in SDIO)

Just list them both and note the constraints. That's no worse than
what we had before.

> I have considered to declare two different devices, but I am not sure the
> dtbs_checker will appreciate to have two definitions of the same device.
> In add, some attribute descriptions would be redundant.
>
> I also considered to use conditional statements, but I didn't find how to
> check the bus that the device currently use.

I've thought about adding a pseudo '$bus' property for this purpose,
but no, there's not currently a way to do that.