devicetree.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Voltage and current regulator: usage of 'regulators' parent node in device tree
@ 2021-07-08  8:20 embedded (VIVAVIS AG)
From: embedded (VIVAVIS AG) @ 2021-07-08  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devicetree

I see a lot of Device trees wrapping the regulator nodes within a parent node
like this

regulators {
    compatible = "simple-bus";
    #address-cells = <1>;
    #size-cells = <0>;
    reg_p3v3: regulator@0 {
        compatible = "regulator-fixed";
        [...]
        regulator-always-on;
    };
    [...]

Contrary to that, patches exist removing the 'regulators' node, because the 'simple-bus'
doesn't really exist in hardware. Unfortunately, the documentation is unclear about
wrapping regulator nodes like shown above.

Should I avoid the parent 'regulators' node and why?

Is the given naming schema in fixed-regulator.yaml best practice to follow?

    reg_xyz: regulator-xyz {
      compatible = "regulator-fixed";
      regulator-name = "xyz";

Thank you for clarification.

Carsten Stelling

* AW: Voltage and current regulator: usage of 'regulators' parent node in device tree
@ 2021-07-14  9:15 ` embedded (VIVAVIS AG)
From: embedded (VIVAVIS AG) @ 2021-07-14  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devicetree; +Cc: robh+dt

Hi,

> I see a lot of Device trees wrapping the regulator nodes within a parent node
> like this
>
> regulators {
>    compatible = "simple-bus";
>    #address-cells = <1>;
>    #size-cells = <0>;
>    reg_p3v3: regulator@0 {
>        compatible = "regulator-fixed";
>        [...]
>        regulator-always-on;
>    };
>    [...]
>
> Contrary to that, patches exist removing the 'regulators' node, because the 'simple-bus'
> doesn't really exist in hardware. Unfortunately, the documentation is unclear about
> wrapping regulator nodes like shown above.
>
> Should I avoid the parent 'regulators' node and why?
>
> Is the given naming schema in fixed-regulator.yaml best practice to follow?
>
>    reg_xyz: regulator-xyz {
>      compatible = "regulator-fixed";
>      regulator-name = "xyz";
>
> Thank you for clarification.