devicetree.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [PATCH v2] arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: add eMMC voltage property for Beelink GS1
@ 2020-10-03  9:20 Clément Péron
  2020-10-05  9:21 ` Maxime Ripard
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Clément Péron @ 2020-10-03  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Clément Péron, Rob Herring, Chen-Yu Tsai, devicetree,
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-kernel

Sunxi MMC driver can't distinguish at runtime what's the I/O voltage
for HS200 mode.

Add a property in the device-tree to notify MMC core about this
configuration.

Fixes: 089bee8dd119 ("arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: Introduce Beelink GS1 board")
Signed-off-by: Clément Péron <peron.clem@gmail.com>
---
 arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

diff --git a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
index 049c21718846..3f20d2c9bbbb 100644
--- a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
+++ b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
@@ -145,6 +145,7 @@ &mmc2 {
 	vqmmc-supply = <&reg_bldo2>;
 	non-removable;
 	cap-mmc-hw-reset;
+	mmc-hs200-1_8v;
 	bus-width = <8>;
 	status = "okay";
 };
-- 
2.25.1


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: [PATCH v2] arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: add eMMC voltage property for Beelink GS1
  2020-10-03  9:20 [PATCH v2] arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: add eMMC voltage property for Beelink GS1 Clément Péron
@ 2020-10-05  9:21 ` Maxime Ripard
  2020-10-05 18:47   ` Clément Péron
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2020-10-05  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Péron
  Cc: Rob Herring, Chen-Yu Tsai, devicetree, linux-arm-kernel, linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1951 bytes --]

Hi Clément,

On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 11:20:01AM +0200, Clément Péron wrote:
> Sunxi MMC driver can't distinguish at runtime what's the I/O voltage
> for HS200 mode.

Unfortunately, that's not true (or at least, that's not related to your patch).

> Add a property in the device-tree to notify MMC core about this
> configuration.
> 
> Fixes: 089bee8dd119 ("arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: Introduce Beelink GS1 board")
> Signed-off-by: Clément Péron <peron.clem@gmail.com>
> ---
>  arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts | 1 +
>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
> 
> diff --git a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> index 049c21718846..3f20d2c9bbbb 100644
> --- a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> +++ b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> @@ -145,6 +145,7 @@ &mmc2 {
>  	vqmmc-supply = <&reg_bldo2>;
>  	non-removable;
>  	cap-mmc-hw-reset;
> +	mmc-hs200-1_8v;
>  	bus-width = <8>;
>  	status = "okay";
>  };

I'm not really sure what you're trying to fix here, but as far as MMC
goes, eMMC's can support io voltage of 3.3, 1.8 and 1.2V. Modes up until
HS DDR (50MHz in DDR) will use an IO voltage of 3.3V, higher speed modes
(HS200 and HS400) supporting 1.8V and 1.2V.

The mmc-hs200-1_8v property states that the MMC controller supports the
HS200 mode at 1.8V. Now, I can only assume that since BLDO2 is set up at
1.8V then otherwise, the MMC core will rightfully decide to use the
highest supported mode. In this case, since the driver sets it, it would
be HS-DDR at 3.3V, which won't work with that fixed regulator.

I can only assume that enabling HS200 at 1.8V only fixes the issue you
have because otherwise it would use HS-DDR at 3.3V, ie not actually
fixing the issue but sweeping it under the rug.

Trying to add mmc-ddr-1_8v would be a good idea

Maxime

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 228 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: [PATCH v2] arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: add eMMC voltage property for Beelink GS1
  2020-10-05  9:21 ` Maxime Ripard
@ 2020-10-05 18:47   ` Clément Péron
  2020-10-08 15:10     ` Maxime Ripard
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Clément Péron @ 2020-10-05 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Rob Herring, Chen-Yu Tsai, devicetree, linux-arm-kernel, linux-kernel

Hi Maxime,


On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 11:21, Maxime Ripard <maxime@cerno.tech> wrote:
>
> Hi Clément,
>
> On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 11:20:01AM +0200, Clément Péron wrote:
> > Sunxi MMC driver can't distinguish at runtime what's the I/O voltage
> > for HS200 mode.
>
> Unfortunately, that's not true (or at least, that's not related to your patch).
>
> > Add a property in the device-tree to notify MMC core about this
> > configuration.
> >
> > Fixes: 089bee8dd119 ("arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: Introduce Beelink GS1 board")
> > Signed-off-by: Clément Péron <peron.clem@gmail.com>
> > ---
> >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts | 1 +
> >  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
> >
> > diff --git a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > index 049c21718846..3f20d2c9bbbb 100644
> > --- a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > +++ b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > @@ -145,6 +145,7 @@ &mmc2 {
> >       vqmmc-supply = <&reg_bldo2>;
> >       non-removable;
> >       cap-mmc-hw-reset;
> > +     mmc-hs200-1_8v;
> >       bus-width = <8>;
> >       status = "okay";
> >  };
>
> I'm not really sure what you're trying to fix here, but as far as MMC
> goes, eMMC's can support io voltage of 3.3, 1.8 and 1.2V. Modes up until
> HS DDR (50MHz in DDR) will use an IO voltage of 3.3V, higher speed modes
> (HS200 and HS400) supporting 1.8V and 1.2V.

Some users report that the eMMC is not working properly on their
Beelink GS1 boards.

>
> The mmc-hs200-1_8v property states that the MMC controller supports the
> HS200 mode at 1.8V. Now, I can only assume that since BLDO2 is set up at
> 1.8V then otherwise, the MMC core will rightfully decide to use the
> highest supported mode. In this case, since the driver sets it, it would
> be HS-DDR at 3.3V, which won't work with that fixed regulator.
>
> I can only assume that enabling HS200 at 1.8V only fixes the issue you
> have because otherwise it would use HS-DDR at 3.3V, ie not actually
> fixing the issue but sweeping it under the rug.
>
> Trying to add mmc-ddr-1_8v would be a good idea

Thanks for the explanation, this is indeed the correct one.
So It looks like the SDIO controller has an issue on some boards when
using HS-DDR mode.

Is this patch acceptable with the proper commit log?

It looks like the same issue is happening on A64 Pinebook board.

Thanks
Clement


>
> Maxime

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: [PATCH v2] arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: add eMMC voltage property for Beelink GS1
  2020-10-05 18:47   ` Clément Péron
@ 2020-10-08 15:10     ` Maxime Ripard
  2020-10-08 20:00       ` Clément Péron
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2020-10-08 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Péron
  Cc: Rob Herring, Chen-Yu Tsai, devicetree, linux-arm-kernel, linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2673 bytes --]

Hi Clément,

On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 08:47:19PM +0200, Clément Péron wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 11:21, Maxime Ripard <maxime@cerno.tech> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Clément,
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 11:20:01AM +0200, Clément Péron wrote:
> > > Sunxi MMC driver can't distinguish at runtime what's the I/O voltage
> > > for HS200 mode.
> >
> > Unfortunately, that's not true (or at least, that's not related to your patch).
> >
> > > Add a property in the device-tree to notify MMC core about this
> > > configuration.
> > >
> > > Fixes: 089bee8dd119 ("arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: Introduce Beelink GS1 board")
> > > Signed-off-by: Clément Péron <peron.clem@gmail.com>
> > > ---
> > >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts | 1 +
> > >  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
> > >
> > > diff --git a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > > index 049c21718846..3f20d2c9bbbb 100644
> > > --- a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > > +++ b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > > @@ -145,6 +145,7 @@ &mmc2 {
> > >       vqmmc-supply = <&reg_bldo2>;
> > >       non-removable;
> > >       cap-mmc-hw-reset;
> > > +     mmc-hs200-1_8v;
> > >       bus-width = <8>;
> > >       status = "okay";
> > >  };
> >
> > I'm not really sure what you're trying to fix here, but as far as MMC
> > goes, eMMC's can support io voltage of 3.3, 1.8 and 1.2V. Modes up until
> > HS DDR (50MHz in DDR) will use an IO voltage of 3.3V, higher speed modes
> > (HS200 and HS400) supporting 1.8V and 1.2V.
> 
> Some users report that the eMMC is not working properly on their
> Beelink GS1 boards.
> 
> > The mmc-hs200-1_8v property states that the MMC controller supports the
> > HS200 mode at 1.8V. Now, I can only assume that since BLDO2 is set up at
> > 1.8V then otherwise, the MMC core will rightfully decide to use the
> > highest supported mode. In this case, since the driver sets it, it would
> > be HS-DDR at 3.3V, which won't work with that fixed regulator.
> >
> > I can only assume that enabling HS200 at 1.8V only fixes the issue you
> > have because otherwise it would use HS-DDR at 3.3V, ie not actually
> > fixing the issue but sweeping it under the rug.
> >
> > Trying to add mmc-ddr-1_8v would be a good idea
> 
> Thanks for the explanation, this is indeed the correct one.
> So It looks like the SDIO controller has an issue on some boards when
> using HS-DDR mode.
> 
> Is this patch acceptable with the proper commit log?

If HS-DDR works, yes, but I assume it doesn't?

Maxime

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 228 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: [PATCH v2] arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: add eMMC voltage property for Beelink GS1
  2020-10-08 15:10     ` Maxime Ripard
@ 2020-10-08 20:00       ` Clément Péron
  2020-10-09  7:36         ` Maxime Ripard
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Clément Péron @ 2020-10-08 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Rob Herring, Chen-Yu Tsai, devicetree, linux-arm-kernel,
	linux-kernel, linux-sunxi, Jernej Skrabec

Hi Maxime,

Adding linux-sunxi and Jernej Skrabec to this discussion.

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 at 17:10, Maxime Ripard <maxime@cerno.tech> wrote:
>
> Hi Clément,
>
> On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 08:47:19PM +0200, Clément Péron wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 11:21, Maxime Ripard <maxime@cerno.tech> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Clément,
> > >
> > > On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 11:20:01AM +0200, Clément Péron wrote:
> > > > Sunxi MMC driver can't distinguish at runtime what's the I/O voltage
> > > > for HS200 mode.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, that's not true (or at least, that's not related to your patch).
> > >
> > > > Add a property in the device-tree to notify MMC core about this
> > > > configuration.
> > > >
> > > > Fixes: 089bee8dd119 ("arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: Introduce Beelink GS1 board")
> > > > Signed-off-by: Clément Péron <peron.clem@gmail.com>
> > > > ---
> > > >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts | 1 +
> > > >  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
> > > >
> > > > diff --git a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > > > index 049c21718846..3f20d2c9bbbb 100644
> > > > --- a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > > > +++ b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > > > @@ -145,6 +145,7 @@ &mmc2 {
> > > >       vqmmc-supply = <&reg_bldo2>;
> > > >       non-removable;
> > > >       cap-mmc-hw-reset;
> > > > +     mmc-hs200-1_8v;
> > > >       bus-width = <8>;
> > > >       status = "okay";
> > > >  };
> > >
> > > I'm not really sure what you're trying to fix here, but as far as MMC
> > > goes, eMMC's can support io voltage of 3.3, 1.8 and 1.2V. Modes up until
> > > HS DDR (50MHz in DDR) will use an IO voltage of 3.3V, higher speed modes
> > > (HS200 and HS400) supporting 1.8V and 1.2V.
> >
> > Some users report that the eMMC is not working properly on their
> > Beelink GS1 boards.
> >
> > > The mmc-hs200-1_8v property states that the MMC controller supports the
> > > HS200 mode at 1.8V. Now, I can only assume that since BLDO2 is set up at
> > > 1.8V then otherwise, the MMC core will rightfully decide to use the
> > > highest supported mode. In this case, since the driver sets it, it would
> > > be HS-DDR at 3.3V, which won't work with that fixed regulator.
> > >
> > > I can only assume that enabling HS200 at 1.8V only fixes the issue you
> > > have because otherwise it would use HS-DDR at 3.3V, ie not actually
> > > fixing the issue but sweeping it under the rug.
> > >
> > > Trying to add mmc-ddr-1_8v would be a good idea
> >
> > Thanks for the explanation, this is indeed the correct one.
> > So It looks like the SDIO controller has an issue on some boards when
> > using HS-DDR mode.
> >
> > Is this patch acceptable with the proper commit log?
>
> If HS-DDR works, yes, but I assume it doesn't?

After discussing with Jernej about this issue, I understood that:
- Automatic delay calibration is not implemented
- We also miss some handling of DDR related bits in control register

So none of H5/H6 boards should actually work.
(Some 'lucky' boards seem to work enough to switch to HS200 mode...)

To "fix" this the H5 disable the HS-DDR mode in sunxi mmc driver :
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/mmc/host/sunxi-mmc.c#L1409

I'm not sure about A64 but it looks like the property "mmc-hs200-1_8v"
for the PineBook shows the same issue.

The proper way would of course be to implement the missing feature
mentioned above.
But this could take some time and as the eMMC driver is actually
broken wouldn't it be better to disable the HS-DDR for H6 in the mmc
driver like it's done for H5 ?

Regards,
Clement

>
> Maxime

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: [PATCH v2] arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: add eMMC voltage property for Beelink GS1
  2020-10-08 20:00       ` Clément Péron
@ 2020-10-09  7:36         ` Maxime Ripard
  2020-10-13 21:27           ` Jernej Škrabec
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2020-10-09  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Péron
  Cc: Rob Herring, Chen-Yu Tsai, devicetree, linux-arm-kernel,
	linux-kernel, linux-sunxi, Jernej Skrabec

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 4379 bytes --]

On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 10:00:06PM +0200, Clément Péron wrote:
> Hi Maxime,
> 
> Adding linux-sunxi and Jernej Skrabec to this discussion.
> 
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 at 17:10, Maxime Ripard <maxime@cerno.tech> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Clément,
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 08:47:19PM +0200, Clément Péron wrote:
> > > On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 11:21, Maxime Ripard <maxime@cerno.tech> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hi Clément,
> > > >
> > > > On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 11:20:01AM +0200, Clément Péron wrote:
> > > > > Sunxi MMC driver can't distinguish at runtime what's the I/O voltage
> > > > > for HS200 mode.
> > > >
> > > > Unfortunately, that's not true (or at least, that's not related to your patch).
> > > >
> > > > > Add a property in the device-tree to notify MMC core about this
> > > > > configuration.
> > > > >
> > > > > Fixes: 089bee8dd119 ("arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: Introduce Beelink GS1 board")
> > > > > Signed-off-by: Clément Péron <peron.clem@gmail.com>
> > > > > ---
> > > > >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts | 1 +
> > > > >  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
> > > > >
> > > > > diff --git a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > > > > index 049c21718846..3f20d2c9bbbb 100644
> > > > > --- a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > > > > +++ b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > > > > @@ -145,6 +145,7 @@ &mmc2 {
> > > > >       vqmmc-supply = <&reg_bldo2>;
> > > > >       non-removable;
> > > > >       cap-mmc-hw-reset;
> > > > > +     mmc-hs200-1_8v;
> > > > >       bus-width = <8>;
> > > > >       status = "okay";
> > > > >  };
> > > >
> > > > I'm not really sure what you're trying to fix here, but as far as MMC
> > > > goes, eMMC's can support io voltage of 3.3, 1.8 and 1.2V. Modes up until
> > > > HS DDR (50MHz in DDR) will use an IO voltage of 3.3V, higher speed modes
> > > > (HS200 and HS400) supporting 1.8V and 1.2V.
> > >
> > > Some users report that the eMMC is not working properly on their
> > > Beelink GS1 boards.
> > >
> > > > The mmc-hs200-1_8v property states that the MMC controller supports the
> > > > HS200 mode at 1.8V. Now, I can only assume that since BLDO2 is set up at
> > > > 1.8V then otherwise, the MMC core will rightfully decide to use the
> > > > highest supported mode. In this case, since the driver sets it, it would
> > > > be HS-DDR at 3.3V, which won't work with that fixed regulator.
> > > >
> > > > I can only assume that enabling HS200 at 1.8V only fixes the issue you
> > > > have because otherwise it would use HS-DDR at 3.3V, ie not actually
> > > > fixing the issue but sweeping it under the rug.
> > > >
> > > > Trying to add mmc-ddr-1_8v would be a good idea
> > >
> > > Thanks for the explanation, this is indeed the correct one.
> > > So It looks like the SDIO controller has an issue on some boards when
> > > using HS-DDR mode.
> > >
> > > Is this patch acceptable with the proper commit log?
> >
> > If HS-DDR works, yes, but I assume it doesn't?
> 
> After discussing with Jernej about this issue, I understood that:
> - Automatic delay calibration is not implemented
> - We also miss some handling of DDR related bits in control register
> 
> So none of H5/H6 boards should actually work.
> (Some 'lucky' boards seem to work enough to switch to HS200 mode...)
> 
> To "fix" this the H5 disable the HS-DDR mode in sunxi mmc driver :
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/mmc/host/sunxi-mmc.c#L1409

I find it suspicious that some boards would have traces not good enough
for HS-DDR (50MHz in DDR) but would work fine in HS200 (200MHz in SDR).
If there's some mismatch on the traces, it will only be worse in HS200.

And for the delay calibration, iirc, that's only necessary for HS400
that we don't support?

> I'm not sure about A64 but it looks like the property "mmc-hs200-1_8v"
> for the PineBook shows the same issue.
> 
> The proper way would of course be to implement the missing feature
> mentioned above.
> But this could take some time and as the eMMC driver is actually
> broken wouldn't it be better to disable the HS-DDR for H6 in the mmc
> driver like it's done for H5 ?

Have you tested with only the mmc-ddr-1_8v property?

Maxime

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 228 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: Re: [PATCH v2] arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: add eMMC voltage property for Beelink GS1
  2020-10-09  7:36         ` Maxime Ripard
@ 2020-10-13 21:27           ` Jernej Škrabec
  2020-10-15  9:35             ` Maxime Ripard
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Jernej Škrabec @ 2020-10-13 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Péron, Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Rob Herring, Chen-Yu Tsai, devicetree, linux-arm-kernel,
	linux-kernel, linux-sunxi

Dne petek, 09. oktober 2020 ob 09:36:51 CEST je Maxime Ripard napisal(a):
> On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 10:00:06PM +0200, Clément Péron wrote:
> > Hi Maxime,
> > 
> > Adding linux-sunxi and Jernej Skrabec to this discussion.
> > 
> > On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 at 17:10, Maxime Ripard <maxime@cerno.tech> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Clément,
> > >
> > > On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 08:47:19PM +0200, Clément Péron wrote:
> > > > On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 11:21, Maxime Ripard <maxime@cerno.tech> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > Hi Clément,
> > > > >
> > > > > On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 11:20:01AM +0200, Clément Péron wrote:
> > > > > > Sunxi MMC driver can't distinguish at runtime what's the I/O 
voltage
> > > > > > for HS200 mode.
> > > > >
> > > > > Unfortunately, that's not true (or at least, that's not related to 
your patch).
> > > > >
> > > > > > Add a property in the device-tree to notify MMC core about this
> > > > > > configuration.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Fixes: 089bee8dd119 ("arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: Introduce Beelink 
GS1 board")
> > > > > > Signed-off-by: Clément Péron <peron.clem@gmail.com>
> > > > > > ---
> > > > > >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts | 1 +
> > > > > >  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
> > > > > >
> > > > > > diff --git a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-
gs1.dts b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > > > > > index 049c21718846..3f20d2c9bbbb 100644
> > > > > > --- a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > > > > > +++ b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > > > > > @@ -145,6 +145,7 @@ &mmc2 {
> > > > > >       vqmmc-supply = <&reg_bldo2>;
> > > > > >       non-removable;
> > > > > >       cap-mmc-hw-reset;
> > > > > > +     mmc-hs200-1_8v;
> > > > > >       bus-width = <8>;
> > > > > >       status = "okay";
> > > > > >  };
> > > > >
> > > > > I'm not really sure what you're trying to fix here, but as far as MMC
> > > > > goes, eMMC's can support io voltage of 3.3, 1.8 and 1.2V. Modes up 
until
> > > > > HS DDR (50MHz in DDR) will use an IO voltage of 3.3V, higher speed 
modes
> > > > > (HS200 and HS400) supporting 1.8V and 1.2V.
> > > >
> > > > Some users report that the eMMC is not working properly on their
> > > > Beelink GS1 boards.
> > > >
> > > > > The mmc-hs200-1_8v property states that the MMC controller supports 
the
> > > > > HS200 mode at 1.8V. Now, I can only assume that since BLDO2 is set 
up at
> > > > > 1.8V then otherwise, the MMC core will rightfully decide to use the
> > > > > highest supported mode. In this case, since the driver sets it, it 
would
> > > > > be HS-DDR at 3.3V, which won't work with that fixed regulator.
> > > > >
> > > > > I can only assume that enabling HS200 at 1.8V only fixes the issue 
you
> > > > > have because otherwise it would use HS-DDR at 3.3V, ie not actually
> > > > > fixing the issue but sweeping it under the rug.
> > > > >
> > > > > Trying to add mmc-ddr-1_8v would be a good idea
> > > >
> > > > Thanks for the explanation, this is indeed the correct one.
> > > > So It looks like the SDIO controller has an issue on some boards when
> > > > using HS-DDR mode.
> > > >
> > > > Is this patch acceptable with the proper commit log?
> > >
> > > If HS-DDR works, yes, but I assume it doesn't?
> > 
> > After discussing with Jernej about this issue, I understood that:
> > - Automatic delay calibration is not implemented
> > - We also miss some handling of DDR related bits in control register
> > 
> > So none of H5/H6 boards should actually work.
> > (Some 'lucky' boards seem to work enough to switch to HS200 mode...)
> > 
> > To "fix" this the H5 disable the HS-DDR mode in sunxi mmc driver :
> > https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/mmc/host/sunxi-mmc.c#L1409
> 
> I find it suspicious that some boards would have traces not good enough
> for HS-DDR (50MHz in DDR) but would work fine in HS200 (200MHz in SDR).
> If there's some mismatch on the traces, it will only be worse in HS200.

FYI, similar situation is also with Tanix TX6 board. Mine works well in HS-DDR 
mode, but some people reported that it doesn't work for them. The only 
possible difference could be different eMMC IC. I'll try to confirm that.

Anyway, I did some tests on OrangePi 3 board which also have eMMC. Both modes 
(HS-DDR and HS200) are supported and work well. Interesting observation is 
that speed test (hdparm -t) reported 80.58 MB/sec for HS-DDR mode and 43.40 
MB/sec for HS200. As it can be seen here, HS-DDR is quicker by a factor of 2, 
but it should be the other way around. Reason for this is that both modes use 
same base clock and thus HS-DDR produces higher speed.
If I change f_max to 150 MHz (max. per datasheet for SDR @ 1.8 V) then 
naturally HS200 mode is faster (124.63 MB/sec) as HS-DDR as it should be. This 
would be actually correct test for problematic boards but unfortunately I 
don't have it. I also hacked in support for HS400 (~143 MB/s) and this mode is 
the only one which really needs calibration on my board. 

Two observations from BSP driver:
1. Module clock is disabled before adjusting DDR bit and afterwards it's re-
enabled . That could fix some kind of glitches.
2. SDMMC peripheral runs on higher clock than on mainline.

> 
> And for the delay calibration, iirc, that's only necessary for HS400
> that we don't support?

According to BSP driver and its DT, HS200 also needs calibration. However, it 
seems that using it on lower speed it isn't needed.

Best regards,
Jernej

> 
> > I'm not sure about A64 but it looks like the property "mmc-hs200-1_8v"
> > for the PineBook shows the same issue.
> > 
> > The proper way would of course be to implement the missing feature
> > mentioned above.
> > But this could take some time and as the eMMC driver is actually
> > broken wouldn't it be better to disable the HS-DDR for H6 in the mmc
> > driver like it's done for H5 ?
> 
> Have you tested with only the mmc-ddr-1_8v property?
> 
> Maxime
> 



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: [PATCH v2] arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: add eMMC voltage property for Beelink GS1
  2020-10-13 21:27           ` Jernej Škrabec
@ 2020-10-15  9:35             ` Maxime Ripard
  2020-10-15 21:09               ` Jernej Škrabec
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2020-10-15  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jernej Škrabec
  Cc: Clément Péron, Rob Herring, Chen-Yu Tsai, devicetree,
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-kernel, linux-sunxi

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 6427 bytes --]

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 11:27:33PM +0200, Jernej Škrabec wrote:
> Dne petek, 09. oktober 2020 ob 09:36:51 CEST je Maxime Ripard napisal(a):
> > On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 10:00:06PM +0200, Clément Péron wrote:
> > > Hi Maxime,
> > > 
> > > Adding linux-sunxi and Jernej Skrabec to this discussion.
> > > 
> > > On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 at 17:10, Maxime Ripard <maxime@cerno.tech> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hi Clément,
> > > >
> > > > On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 08:47:19PM +0200, Clément Péron wrote:
> > > > > On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 11:21, Maxime Ripard <maxime@cerno.tech> wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Hi Clément,
> > > > > >
> > > > > > On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 11:20:01AM +0200, Clément Péron wrote:
> > > > > > > Sunxi MMC driver can't distinguish at runtime what's the I/O 
> voltage
> > > > > > > for HS200 mode.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Unfortunately, that's not true (or at least, that's not related to 
> your patch).
> > > > > >
> > > > > > > Add a property in the device-tree to notify MMC core about this
> > > > > > > configuration.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Fixes: 089bee8dd119 ("arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: Introduce Beelink 
> GS1 board")
> > > > > > > Signed-off-by: Clément Péron <peron.clem@gmail.com>
> > > > > > > ---
> > > > > > >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts | 1 +
> > > > > > >  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > diff --git a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-
> gs1.dts b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > > > > > > index 049c21718846..3f20d2c9bbbb 100644
> > > > > > > --- a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > > > > > > +++ b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > > > > > > @@ -145,6 +145,7 @@ &mmc2 {
> > > > > > >       vqmmc-supply = <&reg_bldo2>;
> > > > > > >       non-removable;
> > > > > > >       cap-mmc-hw-reset;
> > > > > > > +     mmc-hs200-1_8v;
> > > > > > >       bus-width = <8>;
> > > > > > >       status = "okay";
> > > > > > >  };
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I'm not really sure what you're trying to fix here, but as far as MMC
> > > > > > goes, eMMC's can support io voltage of 3.3, 1.8 and 1.2V. Modes up 
> until
> > > > > > HS DDR (50MHz in DDR) will use an IO voltage of 3.3V, higher speed 
> modes
> > > > > > (HS200 and HS400) supporting 1.8V and 1.2V.
> > > > >
> > > > > Some users report that the eMMC is not working properly on their
> > > > > Beelink GS1 boards.
> > > > >
> > > > > > The mmc-hs200-1_8v property states that the MMC controller supports 
> the
> > > > > > HS200 mode at 1.8V. Now, I can only assume that since BLDO2 is set 
> up at
> > > > > > 1.8V then otherwise, the MMC core will rightfully decide to use the
> > > > > > highest supported mode. In this case, since the driver sets it, it 
> would
> > > > > > be HS-DDR at 3.3V, which won't work with that fixed regulator.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I can only assume that enabling HS200 at 1.8V only fixes the issue 
> you
> > > > > > have because otherwise it would use HS-DDR at 3.3V, ie not actually
> > > > > > fixing the issue but sweeping it under the rug.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Trying to add mmc-ddr-1_8v would be a good idea
> > > > >
> > > > > Thanks for the explanation, this is indeed the correct one.
> > > > > So It looks like the SDIO controller has an issue on some boards when
> > > > > using HS-DDR mode.
> > > > >
> > > > > Is this patch acceptable with the proper commit log?
> > > >
> > > > If HS-DDR works, yes, but I assume it doesn't?
> > > 
> > > After discussing with Jernej about this issue, I understood that:
> > > - Automatic delay calibration is not implemented
> > > - We also miss some handling of DDR related bits in control register
> > > 
> > > So none of H5/H6 boards should actually work.
> > > (Some 'lucky' boards seem to work enough to switch to HS200 mode...)
> > > 
> > > To "fix" this the H5 disable the HS-DDR mode in sunxi mmc driver :
> > > https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/mmc/host/sunxi-mmc.c#L1409
> > 
> > I find it suspicious that some boards would have traces not good enough
> > for HS-DDR (50MHz in DDR) but would work fine in HS200 (200MHz in SDR).
> > If there's some mismatch on the traces, it will only be worse in HS200.
> 
> FYI, similar situation is also with Tanix TX6 board. Mine works well in HS-DDR 
> mode, but some people reported that it doesn't work for them. The only 
> possible difference could be different eMMC IC. I'll try to confirm that.
> 
> Anyway, I did some tests on OrangePi 3 board which also have eMMC. Both modes 
> (HS-DDR and HS200) are supported and work well.

The Orange Pi 3 has an HS400-capable eMMC ?!

That's really good news, I've initially done the HS200 support on a
custom board I had to give back and couldn't find any board with
HS200/HS400 since.

> Interesting observation is that speed test (hdparm -t) reported 80.58
> MB/sec for HS-DDR mode and 43.40 MB/sec for HS200. As it can be seen
> here, HS-DDR is quicker by a factor of 2, but it should be the other
> way around. Reason for this is that both modes use same base clock and
> thus HS-DDR produces higher speed. If I change f_max to 150 MHz (max.
> per datasheet for SDR @ 1.8 V) then naturally HS200 mode is faster
> (124.63 MB/sec) as HS-DDR as it should be.

If it work fine on the H6, we should set the max-frequency property on
the DT, just like I did on the A64.

> This would be actually correct test for problematic boards but
> unfortunately I don't have it. I also hacked in support for HS400
> (~143 MB/s) and this mode is the only one which really needs
> calibration on my board.
> 
> Two observations from BSP driver:
> 1. Module clock is disabled before adjusting DDR bit and afterwards it's re-
> enabled . That could fix some kind of glitches.
> 2. SDMMC peripheral runs on higher clock than on mainline.
> 
> > And for the delay calibration, iirc, that's only necessary for HS400
> > that we don't support?
> 
> According to BSP driver and its DT, HS200 also needs calibration. However, it 
> seems that using it on lower speed it isn't needed.

Which calibration do you mean? IIRC, the data strobe signal is only used
(optionally) in HS400. The controller might have some internal
calibration for other modes though.

Maxime

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 228 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: Re: [PATCH v2] arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: add eMMC voltage property for Beelink GS1
  2020-10-15  9:35             ` Maxime Ripard
@ 2020-10-15 21:09               ` Jernej Škrabec
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Jernej Škrabec @ 2020-10-15 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Ripard
  Cc: Clément Péron, Rob Herring, Chen-Yu Tsai, devicetree,
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-kernel, linux-sunxi

Dne četrtek, 15. oktober 2020 ob 11:35:44 CEST je Maxime Ripard napisal(a):
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 11:27:33PM +0200, Jernej Škrabec wrote:
> > Dne petek, 09. oktober 2020 ob 09:36:51 CEST je Maxime Ripard napisal(a):
> > > On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 10:00:06PM +0200, Clément Péron wrote:
> > > > Hi Maxime,
> > > > 
> > > > Adding linux-sunxi and Jernej Skrabec to this discussion.
> > > > 
> > > > On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 at 17:10, Maxime Ripard <maxime@cerno.tech> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > Hi Clément,
> > > > >
> > > > > On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 08:47:19PM +0200, Clément Péron wrote:
> > > > > > On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 11:21, Maxime Ripard <maxime@cerno.tech> 
wrote:
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Hi Clément,
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 11:20:01AM +0200, Clément Péron wrote:
> > > > > > > > Sunxi MMC driver can't distinguish at runtime what's the I/O 
> > voltage
> > > > > > > > for HS200 mode.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Unfortunately, that's not true (or at least, that's not related 
to 
> > your patch).
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > Add a property in the device-tree to notify MMC core about 
this
> > > > > > > > configuration.
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > Fixes: 089bee8dd119 ("arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: Introduce 
Beelink 
> > GS1 board")
> > > > > > > > Signed-off-by: Clément Péron <peron.clem@gmail.com>
> > > > > > > > ---
> > > > > > > >  arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts | 1 +
> > > > > > > >  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > diff --git a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-
> > gs1.dts b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > > > > > > > index 049c21718846..3f20d2c9bbbb 100644
> > > > > > > > --- a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > > > > > > > +++ b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dts
> > > > > > > > @@ -145,6 +145,7 @@ &mmc2 {
> > > > > > > >       vqmmc-supply = <&reg_bldo2>;
> > > > > > > >       non-removable;
> > > > > > > >       cap-mmc-hw-reset;
> > > > > > > > +     mmc-hs200-1_8v;
> > > > > > > >       bus-width = <8>;
> > > > > > > >       status = "okay";
> > > > > > > >  };
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > I'm not really sure what you're trying to fix here, but as far as 
MMC
> > > > > > > goes, eMMC's can support io voltage of 3.3, 1.8 and 1.2V. Modes 
up 
> > until
> > > > > > > HS DDR (50MHz in DDR) will use an IO voltage of 3.3V, higher 
speed 
> > modes
> > > > > > > (HS200 and HS400) supporting 1.8V and 1.2V.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Some users report that the eMMC is not working properly on their
> > > > > > Beelink GS1 boards.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > > The mmc-hs200-1_8v property states that the MMC controller 
supports 
> > the
> > > > > > > HS200 mode at 1.8V. Now, I can only assume that since BLDO2 is 
set 
> > up at
> > > > > > > 1.8V then otherwise, the MMC core will rightfully decide to use 
the
> > > > > > > highest supported mode. In this case, since the driver sets it, 
it 
> > would
> > > > > > > be HS-DDR at 3.3V, which won't work with that fixed regulator.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > I can only assume that enabling HS200 at 1.8V only fixes the 
issue 
> > you
> > > > > > > have because otherwise it would use HS-DDR at 3.3V, ie not 
actually
> > > > > > > fixing the issue but sweeping it under the rug.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Trying to add mmc-ddr-1_8v would be a good idea
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Thanks for the explanation, this is indeed the correct one.
> > > > > > So It looks like the SDIO controller has an issue on some boards 
when
> > > > > > using HS-DDR mode.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Is this patch acceptable with the proper commit log?
> > > > >
> > > > > If HS-DDR works, yes, but I assume it doesn't?
> > > > 
> > > > After discussing with Jernej about this issue, I understood that:
> > > > - Automatic delay calibration is not implemented
> > > > - We also miss some handling of DDR related bits in control register
> > > > 
> > > > So none of H5/H6 boards should actually work.
> > > > (Some 'lucky' boards seem to work enough to switch to HS200 mode...)
> > > > 
> > > > To "fix" this the H5 disable the HS-DDR mode in sunxi mmc driver :
> > > > https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/mmc/host/sunxi-mmc.c#L1409
> > > 
> > > I find it suspicious that some boards would have traces not good enough
> > > for HS-DDR (50MHz in DDR) but would work fine in HS200 (200MHz in SDR).
> > > If there's some mismatch on the traces, it will only be worse in HS200.
> > 
> > FYI, similar situation is also with Tanix TX6 board. Mine works well in 
HS-DDR 
> > mode, but some people reported that it doesn't work for them. The only 
> > possible difference could be different eMMC IC. I'll try to confirm that.
> > 
> > Anyway, I did some tests on OrangePi 3 board which also have eMMC. Both 
modes 
> > (HS-DDR and HS200) are supported and work well.
> 
> The Orange Pi 3 has an HS400-capable eMMC ?!
> 
> That's really good news, I've initially done the HS200 support on a
> custom board I had to give back and couldn't find any board with
> HS200/HS400 since.

Yes, I think all H6 boards with eMMC support HS400. If you didn't already 
erase Android from eMMC, I suggest to run it and grep dmesg for HS400. I'm 
pretty sure it will be there.

> 
> > Interesting observation is that speed test (hdparm -t) reported 80.58
> > MB/sec for HS-DDR mode and 43.40 MB/sec for HS200. As it can be seen
> > here, HS-DDR is quicker by a factor of 2, but it should be the other
> > way around. Reason for this is that both modes use same base clock and
> > thus HS-DDR produces higher speed. If I change f_max to 150 MHz (max.
> > per datasheet for SDR @ 1.8 V) then naturally HS200 mode is faster
> > (124.63 MB/sec) as HS-DDR as it should be.
> 
> If it work fine on the H6, we should set the max-frequency property on
> the DT, just like I did on the A64.

Oh, I missed that property. I'll check. However, we can't blindly set max-
frequency. According to user manual, HS400 supports lower max. frequency than 
HS200.

> 
> > This would be actually correct test for problematic boards but
> > unfortunately I don't have it. I also hacked in support for HS400
> > (~143 MB/s) and this mode is the only one which really needs
> > calibration on my board.
> > 
> > Two observations from BSP driver:
> > 1. Module clock is disabled before adjusting DDR bit and afterwards it's 
re-
> > enabled . That could fix some kind of glitches.
> > 2. SDMMC peripheral runs on higher clock than on mainline.
> > 
> > > And for the delay calibration, iirc, that's only necessary for HS400
> > > that we don't support?
> > 
> > According to BSP driver and its DT, HS200 also needs calibration. However, 
it 
> > seems that using it on lower speed it isn't needed.
> 
> Which calibration do you mean? IIRC, the data strobe signal is only used
> (optionally) in HS400. The controller might have some internal
> calibration for other modes though.

Actually both. BSP always adjust both calibration values at the same time 
based on table from DT.

Best regards,
Jernej



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2020-10-15 21:04 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 9+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-10-03  9:20 [PATCH v2] arm64: dts: allwinner: h6: add eMMC voltage property for Beelink GS1 Clément Péron
2020-10-05  9:21 ` Maxime Ripard
2020-10-05 18:47   ` Clément Péron
2020-10-08 15:10     ` Maxime Ripard
2020-10-08 20:00       ` Clément Péron
2020-10-09  7:36         ` Maxime Ripard
2020-10-13 21:27           ` Jernej Škrabec
2020-10-15  9:35             ` Maxime Ripard
2020-10-15 21:09               ` Jernej Škrabec

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).