devicetree.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Emil Renner Berthing <kernel@esmil.dk>
To: Michael Walle <michael@walle.cc>
Cc: Drew Fustini <drew@beagleboard.org>,
	Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@linaro.org>,
	Rob Herring <robh+dt@kernel.org>,
	Bartosz Golaszewski <bgolaszewski@baylibre.com>,
	Paul Walmsley <paul.walmsley@sifive.com>,
	Palmer Dabbelt <palmer@dabbelt.com>,
	Michael Zhu <michael.zhu@starfivetech.com>,
	Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>,
	Fu Wei <tekkamanninja@gmail.com>,
	linux-kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	"open list:GPIO SUBSYSTEM" <linux-gpio@vger.kernel.org>,
	linux-riscv <linux-riscv@lists.infradead.org>,
	"open list:OPEN FIRMWARE AND FLATTENED DEVICE TREE BINDINGS"
	<devicetree@vger.kernel.org>,
	Huan Feng <huan.feng@starfivetech.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC PATH 2/2] gpio: starfive-jh7100: Add StarFive JH7100 GPIO driver
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 12:59:48 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 at 11:49, Michael Walle <michael@walle.cc> wrote:
> Hi Drew,
> Am 2021-07-27 07:28, schrieb Drew Fustini:
> [..]

> Mh, I'm not sure I'm understanding the datasheet/registers. _DOUT_CFG
> and _DOEN_CFG seem to specify the pad where this GPIO is mapped to.
> Shouldn't this be some kind of pinctrl then? Apparently you can map
> any GPIO number to any output pad, no? Or at least to all pads
> which are described in Table 11-2. What happens if two different GPIOs
> are mapped to the same pad? Bit 31 in these _CFG seems to be an invert
> bit, but what does it invert?
>
> Similar, the input GPIOs are connected to an output pad by all the
> GPI_*_CFG registers.
>
> To me it seems, that there two multiplexers for each GPIO, where
> you can connect any GPIOn to any input pad and output pad. Sound
> like a huge overkill. I must be missing something here.
>
> But what puzzles me the most, where do I set the actual GPIO output
> value?

Yeah, it's a little confusing. The DOUT registers choose between a number of
signals from various peripherals to control the output value of the
pin. Similarly
the DOEN registers chose between a number of signals to control the output
enable of the pin. However, two of those signals are special in that they are
constant 0 or constant 1. This is how you control the output value and output
enable from software like a regular GPIO.

You're completely right though. This ought to be managed by a proper pinctrl
driver, and I'm working on one here:
https://github.com/esmil/linux/commits/beaglev-pinctrl