On Mon, 2021-05-10 at 12:26 +0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote: > There are several UTF-8 characters at the Kernel's documentation. > > Several of them were due to the process of converting files from > DocBook, LaTeX, HTML and Markdown. They were probably introduced > by the conversion tools used on that time. > > Other UTF-8 characters were added along the time, but they're easily > replaceable by ASCII chars. > > As Linux developers are all around the globe, and not everybody has UTF-8 > as their default charset, better to use UTF-8 only on cases where it is really > needed. No, that is absolutely the wrong approach. If someone has a local setup which makes bogus assumptions about text encodings, that is their own mistake. We don't do them any favours by trying to *hide* it in the common case so that they don't notice it for longer. There really isn't much excuse for such brokenness, this far into the 21st century. Even *before* UTF-8 came along in the final decade of the last millennium, it was important to know which character set a given piece of text was encoded in. In fact it was even *more* important back then, we couldn't just assume UTF-8 everywhere like we can in modern times. Git can already do things like CRLF conversion on checking files out to match local conventions; if you want to teach it to do character set conversions too then I suppose that might be useful to a few developers who've fallen through a time warp and still need it. But nobody's ever bothered before because it just isn't necessary these days. Please *don't* attempt to address this anachronistic and esoteric "requirement" by dragging the kernel source back in time by three decades.