linux-doc.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: [net-next  07/16] net/mlx5: DR, Add support for dumping steering info
       [not found]     ` <MW2PR12MB2489C8551828CFE500F4492EC0469@MW2PR12MB2489.namprd12.prod.outlook.com>
@ 2021-12-31  2:09       ` Jakub Kicinski
From: Jakub Kicinski @ 2021-12-31  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yevgeny Kliteynik, Jonathan Corbet
  Cc: Saeed Mahameed, David S. Miller, netdev, Muhammad Sammar,
	Leon Romanovsky, Saeed Mahameed, linux-doc

On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 01:49:54 +0000 Yevgeny Kliteynik wrote:
> Actually, this was written based on debugfs functions documentation, where
> it states that "if an error occurs, NULL will be returned"
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/htmldocs/filesystems/API-debugfs-create-dir.html
>
> Looking at the code, I see that it's no longer the case.

Oh, I see. That looks like some old, out of date version of the docs.
The text was already correct in 5.15, it seems:

https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.15/source/fs/debugfs/inode.c#L549

Also this render of the docs is correct:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/filesystems/api-summary.html#c.debugfs_create_dir

I don't really know who's responsible for the kernel.org docs...
Let's CC Jon.

Jon, is the www.kernel.org/doc/htmldocs/ copy intentionally what it is?
Anyone we should talk to?

* RE: [net-next  07/16] net/mlx5: DR, Add support for dumping steering info
@ 2022-01-02 10:18         ` Yevgeny Kliteynik
From: Yevgeny Kliteynik @ 2022-01-02 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Kicinski, Jonathan Corbet
	Leon Romanovsky, Saeed Mahameed, linux-doc

The thing is, www.kernel.org/doc/htmldocs/ is the first and the only
doc link that I see when googling some debugfs functions.
Bing shows this as the first link, and the updated documentation
as the second link.

www.kernel.org/doc/htmldocs/index.html shows that this was generated
for kernel 4.12.0. So yes, it is very dated, but for some reason search
engines rank it highest. It's possible that debugfs is not the only case
with this problem.

-- YK