Linux-Doc Archive on lore.kernel.org
* Documentation/scsi/aha152x.rst
@ 2020-07-29 17:16 Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2020-07-29 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mchehab+huawei, corbet; +Cc: linux-doc

Hello,

The ada152 documentation mentions some compilation flags.  This was
converted to ReST as eg:

+- DAUTOCONF
+    use configuration the controller reports (AHA-152x only)

--DAUTOCONF
- use configuration the controller reports (AHA-152x only)

This is clearly not correct.  The - should be attached to the D, and not
be converted to a bullet.  I tried replacing:

- DAUTOCONF

by

- -DAUTOCONF

but the result with rst2html was not very satisfactory.  The DAUTOCONF
seems to be slightly raised with respect to the rest of the text.  And a
subsequent case:

- DSETUP0="{ IOPORT, IRQ, SCSI_ID, RECONNECT, PARITY, SYNCHRONOUS, DELAY, EXT_TRANS }"

comes out different from the ones that have no associated list of possible
values (larger letters, different font).

What should be done instead?

Also, does the kernel include some scripts for testing the documentation?
make Documentation/scsi/aha152x.html doesn't seem to work.

thanks,
julia

* Re: Documentation/scsi/aha152x.rst
@ 2020-07-29 17:33 ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2020-07-29 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall, mchehab+huawei, corbet; +Cc: linux-doc

On 7/29/20 10:16 AM, Julia Lawall wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The ada152 documentation mentions some compilation flags.  This was
> converted to ReST as eg:
>
> +- DAUTOCONF
> +    use configuration the controller reports (AHA-152x only)
>
> --DAUTOCONF
> - use configuration the controller reports (AHA-152x only)
>
> This is clearly not correct.  The - should be attached to the D, and not
> be converted to a bullet.  I tried replacing:
>
> - DAUTOCONF
>
> by
>
> - -DAUTOCONF
>
> but the result with rst2html was not very satisfactory.  The DAUTOCONF
> seems to be slightly raised with respect to the rest of the text.  And a
> subsequent case:
>
> - DSETUP0="{ IOPORT, IRQ, SCSI_ID, RECONNECT, PARITY, SYNCHRONOUS, DELAY, EXT_TRANS }"
>
> comes out different from the ones that have no associated list of possible
> values (larger letters, different font).
>
> What should be done instead?
>
> Also, does the kernel include some scripts for testing the documentation?
> make Documentation/scsi/aha152x.html doesn't seem to work.

I would do this:

$ make SPHINXDIRS="scsi" htmldocs

to limit the htmldocs build to Documentation/scsi/.
I don't know of a way to build only one output file.

--
~Randy

* Re: Documentation/scsi/aha152x.rst
@ 2020-07-29 18:06   ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2020-07-29 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: mchehab+huawei, corbet, linux-doc

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020, Randy Dunlap wrote:

> On 7/29/20 10:16 AM, Julia Lawall wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > The ada152 documentation mentions some compilation flags.  This was
> > converted to ReST as eg:
> >
> > +- DAUTOCONF
> > +    use configuration the controller reports (AHA-152x only)
> >
> > --DAUTOCONF
> > - use configuration the controller reports (AHA-152x only)
> >
> > This is clearly not correct.  The - should be attached to the D, and not
> > be converted to a bullet.  I tried replacing:
> >
> > - DAUTOCONF
> >
> > by
> >
> > - -DAUTOCONF
> >
> > but the result with rst2html was not very satisfactory.  The DAUTOCONF
> > seems to be slightly raised with respect to the rest of the text.  And a
> > subsequent case:
> >
> > - DSETUP0="{ IOPORT, IRQ, SCSI_ID, RECONNECT, PARITY, SYNCHRONOUS, DELAY, EXT_TRANS }"
> >
> > comes out different from the ones that have no associated list of possible
> > values (larger letters, different font).
> >
> > What should be done instead?
> >
> > Also, does the kernel include some scripts for testing the documentation?
> > make Documentation/scsi/aha152x.html doesn't seem to work.
>
> I would do this:
>
> $ make SPHINXDIRS="scsi" htmldocs
>
> to limit the htmldocs build to Documentation/scsi/.
> I don't know of a way to build only one output file.

Thanks!  That worked.

The -Ds still don't look at all good though.

julia