linux-edac.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Jane Chu <jane.chu@oracle.com>
To: "Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@intel.com>, Matthew Wilcox <willy@infradead.org>
Cc: Borislav Petkov <bp@alien8.de>,
	Naoya Horiguchi <naoya.horiguchi@nec.com>,
	"linux-edac@vger.kernel.org" <linux-edac@vger.kernel.org>,
	"linux-mm@kvack.org" <linux-mm@kvack.org>,
	"linux-nvdimm@lists.01.org" <linux-nvdimm@lists.01.org>,
	"Darrick J. Wong" <darrick.wong@oracle.com>,
	David Rientjes <rientjes@google.com>,
	Mike Kravetz <mike.kravetz@oracle.com>,
	"Dr. David Alan Gilbert" <dgilbert@redhat.com>,
	Peter Xu <peterx@redhat.com>,
	Andrea Arcangeli <aarcange@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Make the memory failure blast radius more precise
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 09:23:57 -0700	[thread overview]

On 6/24/2020 5:13 PM, Luck, Tony wrote:
>> Both the RFC patch and the above 5-step recovery plan look neat, step 4)
>> is nice to carry forward on icelake when a single instruction to clear
>> poison is available.
>
> Jane,
>
> Clearing poison has some challenges.
>
> On persistent memory it probably works (as the DIMM is going to remap that address to a different
> part of the media to avoid the bad spot).
>
> On DDR memory you'd need to decide whether the problem was transient, so that a simple
> overwrite fixes the problem. Or persistent ... in which case the problem will likely come back
> with the right data pattern.  To tell that you may need to run some memory test on the affected
> area.
>
> If the error was just in a 4K page, I'd be inclined to copy the good data to a new page and
> map that in instead. Throwing away one 4K page isn't likely to be painful.
>
> If it is in a 2M/1G page ... perhaps it is worth the effort and risk of trying to clear the poison
> in place to avoid the pain of breaking up a large page.

Thanks!  Yes I was only thinking about persistent memory, but
memory_failure_dev_pagemap() applies to DDR as well depends on the
underlying technology. In our use case, even if the error was just in a
4K page, we'd like to clear the poison and reuse the page to maintain a
contiguous 256MB extent in the filesystem.  Perhaps it is better to
leave that to the filesystem and driver.

Regards,
-jane