It looks from profiles like ext4_getattr() is fairly expensive, because it unnecessarily accesses the extended inode information and causes extra cache misses. On an empty kernel allmodconfig build (which is a lot of "stat()" calls by Make, and a lot of silly string stuff in user space due to all the make variable games we play), ext4_getattr() was something like 1% of the time according to the profile I gathered. It might be bogus - maybe the cacheline ends up being accessed later anyway, but it _looked_ like it was the whole "i_extra_isize" access that missed in the cache. That's all for gathering the STATX_BTIME information, that the caller doesn't even *want*. How about a patch like the attached? Linus