linux-fbdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* [Patch] fbcon: i want fbcon soft scrollback feature come back
@ 2021-01-07 15:48 xuhuijie
From: xuhuijie @ 2021-01-07 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gregkh, daniel.vetter, jirislaby, yepeilin.cs, b.zolnierkie,
	penguin-kernel, george.kennedy, natechancellor
  Cc: dri-devel, linux-fbdev, linux-kernel

This commit 50145474f6ef(fbcon: remove soft scrollback code) remove soft scrollback in
fbcon. So the shift+PageDown and shift+PageUp is missing. But PageUp is a vary important
feature when system panic or reset. I can get log by PageUp before, but now there is no
way to get. Especially on the server system, we always use bmc to control computer.
So I hope the community can add this feature back.

* Re: [Patch] fbcon: i want fbcon soft scrollback feature come back
@ 2021-01-07 16:13 ` Daniel Vetter
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2021-01-07 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xuhuijie, Linus Torvalds
  Cc: Greg KH, Jiri Slaby, Peilin Ye, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz,
	Tetsuo Handa, George Kennedy, Nathan Chancellor, dri-devel,
	Linux Fbdev development list, Linux Kernel Mailing List

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 4:48 PM xuhuijie <huijiexu295@gmail.com> wrote:
> This commit 50145474f6ef(fbcon: remove soft scrollback code) remove soft scrollback in
> fbcon. So the shift+PageDown and shift+PageUp is missing. But PageUp is a vary important
> feature when system panic or reset. I can get log by PageUp before, but now there is no
> way to get. Especially on the server system, we always use bmc to control computer.
> So I hope the community can add this feature back.

Adding Linus.

Short summary: Not going to happen without significant effort:

https://lore.kernel.org/stable/CAKMK7uEy-b_nPmoh9WYA4NCsK8AL_Jk+-+FRZsrk6NOqqrvriA@mail.gmail.com/

Cheers, Daniel

--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation

* Re: [Patch] fbcon: i want fbcon soft scrollback feature come back
@ 2021-01-07 22:56 ` Tetsuo Handa
From: Tetsuo Handa @ 2021-01-07 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xuhuijie, gregkh, daniel.vetter, jirislaby, yepeilin.cs,
	b.zolnierkie, george.kennedy, natechancellor
  Cc: dri-devel, linux-fbdev, linux-kernel

On 2021/01/08 0:48, xuhuijie wrote:
> This commit 50145474f6ef(fbcon: remove soft scrollback code) remove soft scrollback in
> fbcon. So the shift+PageDown and shift+PageUp is missing. But PageUp is a vary important
> feature when system panic or reset. I can get log by PageUp before, but now there is no
> way to get. Especially on the server system, we always use bmc to control computer.
> So I hope the community can add this feature back.

You can configure kdump for panic, and netconsole for reset.
(I don't know whether PageUp key works after panic...)

* [Patch] fbcon: i want fbcon soft scrollback feature come back
@ 2021-01-07 15:34 xuhuijie
From: xuhuijie @ 2021-01-07 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gregkh, daniel.vetter, jirislaby, yepeilin.cs, b.zolnierkie,
	penguin-kernel, george.kennedy, natechancellor
  Cc: dri-devel, linux-fbdev, linux-kernel