Hi Am 30.11.20 um 15:31 schrieb Mikulas Patocka: > > > On Mon, 30 Nov 2020, Thomas Zimmermann wrote: > >> Udlfb has been superseded by DRM's udl. The DRM driver is better by >> any means and actively maintained. Remove udlfb. > > Hi > > I am using udlfb and it's definitely better than the DRM driver. The DRM > driver will crash the kernel if you unplug the device while Xorg is > running. The framebuffer driver doesn't crash in this case. (I have a cat > and the cat sometimes unplugs cables and I don't want to reboot the system > because of it :-) What's the exact STR here? Just open the /dev/fb* and pull the cable. Do I need a cat? :) > The framebuffer driver is faster, it keeps back buffer and updates only > data that differ between the front and back buffer. The DRM driver doesn't > have such optimization, it will update everything in a given rectangle - > this increases USB traffic and makes video playback more jerky. That's not quite true, but not false either. I think we could optimize what we have. > > The framebuffer driver supports programs running full-screen directly on > the framebuffer console, such as web browser "links -g", image viewer > "fbi", postscript+pdf viewer "fbgs", ZX Spectrum emulator "fuse-sdl", > movie player "mplayer -vo fbdev". The DRM driver doesn't run them. I would expect that most programs have an SDL2 backend. (?) IIRC SDL2 has support for DRI interfaces. > > If you seach for someone to maintain the framebuffer driver, I can do it. I'm looking for reasons why udlfb is still around. What I got from this thread is the possible crash and a lack of DRM's fbdev performance. Thanks for the feedback. Best regards Thomas > > Mikulas > > >> Signed-off-by: Thomas Zimmermann >> --- >> CREDITS | 5 + >> Documentation/fb/index.rst | 1 - >> Documentation/fb/udlfb.rst | 162 --- >> MAINTAINERS | 9 - >> drivers/video/fbdev/Kconfig | 17 +- >> drivers/video/fbdev/Makefile | 1 - >> drivers/video/fbdev/udlfb.c | 1994 ---------------------------------- >> 7 files changed, 6 insertions(+), 2183 deletions(-) >> delete mode 100644 Documentation/fb/udlfb.rst >> delete mode 100644 drivers/video/fbdev/udlfb.c > -- Thomas Zimmermann Graphics Driver Developer SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany (HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg) Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer