linux-fbdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: Interlaced resolutions hang the desktop
       [not found] <CAHJvkbsexf7kM-11ZdrM+pHUUyvttB8fyJMfcsQAC1233jp8LA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-03-30  8:15 ` Christian König
       [not found]   ` <CAHJvkbuu5WB=QTu0EUgSGcoK6KMbP2j8NA0o+XTdtkwadNpsxg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Christian König @ 2021-03-30  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Salvia Novella, amd-gfx, linux-fbdev, alexander.deucher, benh

Hi Alberto,

well what hardware do you have?

Interlaced resolutions are not used any more on modern hardware, so they
are not well tested.

Regards,
Christian.

       [not found]       ` <CAHJvkbsMY689cK3uq_O+i6jiqgLmSAUcrD43oHxpSsVwyhJ1Mg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-03-30 16:08         ` Alex Deucher
       [not found]         ` <b1137716-d6dd-6572-3d45-d0063caef26e@amd.com>
From: Alex Deucher @ 2021-03-30 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Salvia Novella
  Cc: Christian König, Deucher, Alexander, Benjamin Herrenschmidt,
	open list:EFIFB FRAMEBUFFER DRIVER, Christian König,
	amd-gfx list

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 12:06 PM Alberto Salvia Novella
<es20490446e@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is why I'm using interlaced:
>
> $ xrandr
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 8192 x 8192
> DisplayPort-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> HDMI-0 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 16mm x 9mm
>    1920x1080i    60.00*+  50.00    59.94
>    1920x1080     24.00    23.98
>    1280x720      60.00    50.00    59.94
>    1024x768      75.03    70.07    60.00
>    832x624       74.55
>    800x600       72.19    75.00    60.32    56.25
>    720x576       50.00
>    720x576i      50.00
>    720x480       60.00    59.94
>    720x480i      60.00    59.94
>    640x480       75.00    72.81    66.67    60.00    59.94
>    720x400       70.08
> DVI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>
> I think the driver should only support resolutions that are progressive, but also at least of 50Hz.

The supported display modes are dictated by the monitor.  Do you still
have problems with progressive modes?  I'd hate to disable interlaced
modes if they are working fine for others.

Alex

       [not found]                                 ` <e9dd4112-c0d6-8081-8f4a-e857b3097d58@amd.com>
@ 2021-03-31 18:01                                   ` Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2021-03-31 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian König
  Cc: Alberto Salvia Novella, Christian König, Deucher, Alexander,
	Benjamin Herrenschmidt, open list:EFIFB FRAMEBUFFER DRIVER,
	amd-gfx list

Does disabling pageflipping via the xorg.conf help?

Alex

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 1:40 PM Christian König