On Thu, 2020-03-05 at 07:24 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote: > > also clm_blob download is not supported in kernels prior to 4.15 so > > those files won't work with older kernels. > > That is a valid concern, I'm not sure what the rules for linux-firmware > are with regards to this. Not quite sure I understand the problem. The rules for Linux firmware are just the same as basic engineering practice for loadable libraries. If you change the ABI, you change the "soname" of a library, which equates to changing the filename of a linux-firmware object. So if you make a new file format for the firmware which requires new driver support, then you give it a new name. The updated driver can attempt to load the old firmware filename as a fallback, if it still supports that, or you just have a clean separation between the two. The linux-firmware repository then carries *both* files, supporting both old and new kernels in parallel.