linux-firmware.lore.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Jeremy MJ <jskier@gmail.com>
To: sztsian@gmail.com
Cc: linux-firmware@kernel.org
Subject: Re: Question about rtl8761b Realtek bluetooth dongle firmware
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 09:14:11 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi,

I have reached out to realtek to inquire about licensing and
permissibility of inclusion of the firmware to linux-firmware, will
update if / when I hear back.

This came up with another user on the Mint forums, who has a specific
brand using this chipset which provides beta Linux drivers and
firmware:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=319260&e=1

I have tested both the driver and the firmware in linux 5.8; both
appear to mostly work (a couple of unexpected event for opcode errors
with the bluetooth module when using the firmware).

Thank you Zamir for your work on the initial device recognition issue.
Would be nice to have broader support of bt5 dongles in Linux.

Jeremy MountainJohnson
jskier@gmail.com

----
From: Zamir SUN <sztsian@gmail.com>
To: linux-firmware@kernel.org
Cc: sztsian@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 23:44:49 +0800

Hi,

Recently I purchased a unbranded USB Bluetooth dongle which is found not
supported by Linux yet. And the vendor declare it to have rtl8716b chip.
After playing with it for a while we've figured out that it's mostly
compatible with the btrtl driver, with the difference firmware needed.
We found the firmware from the Windows driver CD shipped along with the
dongle and confirmed it works in Linux. I've carefully checked the
Windows driver as well as the installer and did not see any EULA. As I
don't work for Realtek, neither the producer of this USB dongle, so I am
writing to ask if I can submit to linux-firmware?

The patch to the driver is already sent out
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11483367/

Thanks in advance.
--
Zamir SUN