linux-fscrypt.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Aleksander Adamowski <olo@fb.com>
To: "Eric Biggers" <ebiggers@kernel.org>,
	"Tomasz Kłoczko" <kloczko.tomasz@gmail.com>
Cc: "linux-fscrypt@vger.kernel.org" <linux-fscrypt@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [fsverity-utils] 1.4: test suite does not build
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 20:05:25 +0000	[thread overview]

On Saturday, September 18, 2021 1:04 PM, Eric Biggers wrote:
> Aleksander, can you look into these?

These look like compiler warnings, why did they break the build?

The reason for the warnings is that the Engines API that we use with OpenSSL <=
1.1 has started to be deprecated with OpenSSL release 3.0.

The replacement that OpenSSL offers is called "Providers":
https://www.openssl.org/docs/man3.0/man7/migration_guide.html#Engines-and-METHOD-APIs

Unfortunately, the Providers API is only available starting with version 3.0,
the same version that deprecates Engines:

https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/man3/OSSL_PROVIDER_load.html

So, our options here are:

1. Tolerate deprecation warnings from the compiler until the OpenSSL version
that provides the new replacement API is widespread enough to stop supporting
OpenSSL versions <= 1.1 (I think this is the most reasonable approach, after
all that's how deprecation mechanisms are meant to be used).

2. Use a bunch of preprocessor conditional #ifdefs to support both OpenSSL
pre-3.0 with Engines and post-3.0 with Providers. This would make code pretty
messy IMHO, but should be doable. I can start working on a patch if we get
consensus; however, my opinion is that we should withhold from that until
OpenSSL 3 is the standard release on mainstream distros.