linux-fscrypt.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Aleksander Adamowski <olo@fb.com>
To: Eric Biggers <ebiggers@kernel.org>
Cc: "Tomasz Kłoczko" <kloczko.tomasz@gmail.com>,
	"linux-fscrypt@vger.kernel.org" <linux-fscrypt@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [fsverity-utils] 1.4: test suite does not build
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 21:52:55 +0000	[thread overview]

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 2:19 PM, Eric Biggers wrote:

> Aleksander: there still shouldn't be any compiler warnings.  In my test script
> (scripts/run-tests.sh) I actually use -Werror.  If there isn't a good way to
> avoid these deprecation warnings (and I'd prefer not to have code that's
> conditional on different OpenSSL versions), we can just add
> -Wno-deprecated-declarations to the Makefile for now.

I think -Wno-deprecated-declarations is the best option for now.

I took a few looks around and the community isn't ready for OpenSSL 3.0 just
yet with PKCS#11 support.

The release happened just 2 weeks ago.

Projects like libp11 (https://github.com/OpenSC/libp11), the PKCS#11 engine
implementation for OpenSSL, haven't yet caught up to that fact - there's no
trace of discussion about migrating to the Providers API anywhere on their
mailing lists or issue tracker.

The official OpenSSL release does not come with a PKCS#11 provider, and it only
acknowledges a potential future existence of such in a single sentence in their
design doc (https://www.openssl.org/docs/OpenSSL300Design.html):

"For example a PKCS#11 provider may opt out of caching because its algorithms
may become available and unavailable over time."

Since this is a completely new, redesigned API, I expect it to take some time
before alternatives to existing Engine-based implementations arise.