On Wed, 2021-06-23 at 16:01 +0200, Hannes Reinecke wrote: > On 6/23/21 3:51 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote: > > On Mi, 23.06.21 15:10, Matteo Croce (mcroce@linux.microsoft.com) wrote: > > > > > On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 1:49 PM Christoph Hellwig wrote: > > > > On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 12:58:53PM +0200, Matteo Croce wrote: > > > > > +void inc_diskseq(struct gendisk *disk) > > > > > +{ > > > > > + static atomic64_t diskseq; > > > > > > > > Please don't hide file scope variables in functions. > > > > > > > > > > I just didn't want to clobber that file namespace, as that is the only > > > point where it's used. > > > > > > > Can you explain a little more why we need a global sequence count vs > > > > a per-disk one here? > > > > > > The point of the whole series is to have an unique sequence number for > > > all the disks. > > > Events can arrive to the userspace delayed or out-of-order, so this > > > helps to correlate events to the disk. > > > It might seem strange, but there isn't a way to do this yet, so I come > > > up with a global, monotonically incrementing number. > > > > To extend on this and given an example why the *global* sequence number > > matters: > > > > Consider you plug in a USB storage key, and it gets named > > /dev/sda. You unplug it, the kernel structures for that device all > > disappear. Then you plug in a different USB storage key, and since > > it's the only one it will too be called /dev/sda. > > > > With the global sequence number we can still distinguish these two > > devices even though otherwise they can look pretty much identical. If > > we had per-device counters then this would fall flat because the > > counter would be flushed out when the device disappears and when a device > > reappears under the same generic name we couldn't assign it a > > different sequence number than before. > > > > Thus: a global instead of local sequence number counter is absolutely > > *key* for the problem this is supposed to solve > > > Well ... except that you'll need to keep track of the numbers (otherwise > you wouldn't know if the numbers changed, right?). > And if you keep track of the numbers you probably will have to implement > an uevent listener to get the events in time. > But if you have an uevent listener you will also get the add/remove > events for these devices. > And if you get add and remove events you can as well implement sequence > numbers in your application, seeing that you have all information > allowing you to do so. > So why burden the kernel with it? > > Cheers, > > Hannes Hi, We need this so that we can reliably correlate events to instances of a device. Events alone cannot solve this problem, because events _are_ the problem. -- Kind regards, Luca Boccassi