* [git pull] vfs pile 3
@ 2012-10-13  0:20 Al Viro
From: Al Viro @ 2012-10-13  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

	Stuff from Jeff Layton, mostly.  Sanitizing interplay between
audit and namei, removing a lot of insanity from audit_inode() mess
and getting things ready for his ESTALE patchset.  Please, pull from
the usual place -
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs.git for-linus

Shortlog:
Eric Paris (1):
      audit: make audit_compare_dname_path use parent_len helper

Jeff Layton (19):
      audit: remove unnecessary NULL ptr checks from do_path_lookup
      audit: pass in dentry to audit_copy_inode wherever possible
      audit: no need to walk list in audit_inode if name is NULL
      audit: reverse arguments to audit_inode_child
      audit: add a new "type" field to audit_names struct
      audit: set the name_len in audit_inode for parent lookups
      audit: remove dirlen argument to audit_compare_dname_path
      audit: optimize audit_compare_dname_path
      audit: overhaul __audit_inode_child to accomodate retrying
      vfs: allocate page instead of names_cache buffer in mount_block_root
      acct: constify the name arg to acct_on
      vfs: unexport getname and putname symbols
      vfs: define struct filename and have getname() return it
      audit: allow audit code to satisfy getname requests from its names_list
      vfs: turn do_path_lookup into wrapper around struct filename variant
      vfs: make path_openat take a struct filename pointer
      audit: make audit_inode take struct filename
      vfs: embed struct filename inside of names_cache allocation if possible
      procfs: don't need a PATH_MAX allocation to hold a string representation of an int

Diffstat:
 arch/alpha/kernel/osf_sys.c             |   16 +-
 arch/arm64/kernel/sys.c                 |    4 +-
 arch/arm64/kernel/sys_compat.c          |    6 +-
 arch/avr32/kernel/process.c             |    4 +-
 arch/blackfin/kernel/process.c          |    4 +-
 arch/cris/arch-v10/kernel/process.c     |    4 +-
 arch/cris/arch-v32/kernel/process.c     |    4 +-
 arch/h8300/kernel/process.c             |    4 +-
 arch/hexagon/kernel/syscall.c           |    4 +-
 arch/ia64/kernel/process.c              |    4 +-
 arch/m32r/kernel/process.c              |    4 +-
 arch/microblaze/kernel/sys_microblaze.c |    4 +-
 arch/mips/kernel/linux32.c              |    4 +-
 arch/mips/kernel/syscall.c              |    4 +-
 arch/openrisc/kernel/process.c          |    4 +-
 arch/parisc/hpux/fs.c                   |    4 +-
 arch/parisc/kernel/process.c            |    4 +-
 arch/parisc/kernel/sys_parisc32.c       |    4 +-
 arch/score/kernel/sys_score.c           |    4 +-
 arch/sh/kernel/process_32.c             |    4 +-
 arch/sh/kernel/process_64.c             |    4 +-
 arch/sparc/kernel/process_32.c          |    4 +-
 arch/sparc/kernel/process_64.c          |    4 +-
 arch/sparc/kernel/sys_sparc32.c         |    4 +-
 arch/tile/kernel/process.c              |    8 +-
 arch/unicore32/kernel/sys.c             |    4 +-
 arch/xtensa/kernel/process.c            |    4 +-
 fs/btrfs/ioctl.c                        |    2 +-
 fs/compat.c                             |   12 +-
 fs/exec.c                               |   14 +-
 fs/filesystems.c                        |    4 +-
 fs/internal.h                           |    4 +-
 fs/namei.c                              |  213 ++++++++++++++++++++----------
 fs/namespace.c                          |    4 +-
 fs/open.c                               |   29 ++++-
 fs/proc/base.c                          |    5 +-
 fs/quota/quota.c                        |    4 +-
 fs/xattr.c                              |    8 +-
 include/linux/audit.h                   |   69 +++++++---
 include/linux/fs.h                      |   21 +++-
 include/linux/fsnotify.h                |    8 +-
 init/do_mounts.c                        |    7 +-
 ipc/mqueue.c                            |   17 ++-
 kernel/acct.c                           |    6 +-
 kernel/audit.h                          |    7 +-
 kernel/audit_watch.c                    |    3 +-
 kernel/auditfilter.c                    |   65 ++++++----
 kernel/auditsc.c                        |  217 +++++++++++++++++++++----------
 mm/swapfile.c                           |   11 +-

* Re: [git pull] vfs pile 3
@ 2012-10-13  7:20 ` Marco Stornelli
From: Marco Stornelli @ 2012-10-13  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Viro; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

Il 13/10/2012 02:20, Al Viro ha scritto:
> 	Stuff from Jeff Layton, mostly.  Sanitizing interplay between
> audit and namei, removing a lot of insanity from audit_inode() mess
> and getting things ready for his ESTALE patchset.  Please, pull from
> the usual place -
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs.git for-linus

Al,

do you see any problem to apply the patch series "drop vmtruncate"? Do
you think it's better to push it for 3.8?

Thanks,

Marco

* Re: [git pull] vfs pile 3
@ 2012-10-13  7:51   ` Al Viro
From: Al Viro @ 2012-10-13  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Stornelli; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 09:20:45AM +0200, Marco Stornelli wrote:
> Il 13/10/2012 02:20, Al Viro ha scritto:
> >	Stuff from Jeff Layton, mostly.  Sanitizing interplay between
> >audit and namei, removing a lot of insanity from audit_inode() mess
> >and getting things ready for his ESTALE patchset.  Please, pull from
> >the usual place -
> >git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs.git for-linus
> >

> Al,
>
> do you see any problem to apply the patch series "drop vmtruncate"?

It's somewhat pointless on its own...  If you were doing something with
the callers afterwards - sure, it would be make sense, but as it is...

* Re: [git pull] vfs pile 3
@ 2012-10-13  7:52     ` Marco Stornelli
From: Marco Stornelli @ 2012-10-13  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Viro; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel, Andrew Morton

Il 13/10/2012 09:51, Al Viro ha scritto:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 09:20:45AM +0200, Marco Stornelli wrote:
>> Il 13/10/2012 02:20, Al Viro ha scritto:
>>> 	Stuff from Jeff Layton, mostly.  Sanitizing interplay between
>>> audit and namei, removing a lot of insanity from audit_inode() mess
>>> and getting things ready for his ESTALE patchset.  Please, pull from
>>> the usual place -
>>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs.git for-linus
>>>

>> Al,
>>
>> do you see any problem to apply the patch series "drop vmtruncate"?
>
> It's somewhat pointless on its own...  If you were doing something with
> the callers afterwards - sure, it would be make sense, but as it is...

The goal of the patch was to remove a deprecated function trying to
improve the code, removing the inode operation and doing a general
cleanup. It's pointless for me to have "dead"/"old" code, however thanks
for you comment.

Marco

* Re: [git pull] vfs pile 3
@ 2012-10-13 15:48     ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2012-10-13 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Viro; +Cc: Marco Stornelli, Linus Torvalds, linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 08:51:28AM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
> It's somewhat pointless on its own...  If you were doing something with
> the callers afterwards - sure, it would be make sense, but as it is...

I'd really like to see ->truncate and vmtruncate done, so from that side
I'm absolutely in favour of this series.  What I'm a bit concerned about
is that it just does the trivial 1:1 conversion and not actually
converts the sequence of operations to the proper form, which was one
of the two big reasons of moving away from ->truncate to start with.

I'd love to see the full conversion, but without adequate test coverage
for all the fringe filesystems that might be a bit too much to expect
from Marco.

I think just doing the easy conversions he did, and putting a TODO
comment explaining how it should be taken further at each of the sites
would be valueable on its own.

* Re: [git pull] vfs pile 3
@ 2012-10-13 16:01       ` Al Viro
From: Al Viro @ 2012-10-13 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Marco Stornelli, Linus Torvalds, linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 11:48:10AM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 08:51:28AM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
> > It's somewhat pointless on its own...  If you were doing something with
> > the callers afterwards - sure, it would be make sense, but as it is...
>
> I'd really like to see ->truncate and vmtruncate done, so from that side
> I'm absolutely in favour of this series.  What I'm a bit concerned about
> is that it just does the trivial 1:1 conversion and not actually
> converts the sequence of operations to the proper form, which was one
> of the two big reasons of moving away from ->truncate to start with.
>
> I'd love to see the full conversion, but without adequate test coverage
> for all the fringe filesystems that might be a bit too much to expect
> from Marco.
>
> I think just doing the easy conversions he did, and putting a TODO
> comment explaining how it should be taken further at each of the sites
> would be valueable on its own.

You know, I'm in the middle of dealing with one such TODO.  Yours, as it
were.  From six years ago.  kernel_thread() unexporting.  TODO comments
of any form are routinely shat upon and ignored, especially when shuffled
away into less read parts of the tree... ;-/

I'd rather see it done fs-by-fs.  Starting with something reasonably easy
to test - minixfs would do nicely.  Don't get me wrong - I'm all for
burying ->truncate(); what I'm worried about is that we'll end up burying
the warning about the reasons why vmtruncate() was a bad idea, leaving the
functionality exactly as it used to be...

* Re: [git pull] vfs pile 3
@ 2012-10-13 16:04         ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2012-10-13 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Viro
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, Marco Stornelli, Linus Torvalds, linux-kernel,
	linux-fsdevel

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 05:01:15PM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
> You know, I'm in the middle of dealing with one such TODO.  Yours, as it
> were.  From six years ago.  kernel_thread() unexporting.  TODO comments
> of any form are routinely shat upon and ignored, especially when shuffled
> away into less read parts of the tree... ;-/
>
> I'd rather see it done fs-by-fs.  Starting with something reasonably easy
> to test - minixfs would do nicely.  Don't get me wrong - I'm all for
> burying ->truncate(); what I'm worried about is that we'll end up burying
> the warning about the reasons why vmtruncate() was a bad idea, leaving the
> functionality exactly as it used to be...

As mentioned I agree with the concern in principle.  Let's start by
taking Marco's patches for filesystems that use vmtruncate but don't
actually implement ->truncate.  There's a few I remember offhand, e.g.
procfs and ufs right now.  Then we can do the actual work required ones
piece by piece.

* Re: [git pull] vfs pile 3
@ 2012-10-13 17:07           ` Al Viro
From: Al Viro @ 2012-10-13 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Marco Stornelli, Linus Torvalds, linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:04:55PM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 05:01:15PM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
> > You know, I'm in the middle of dealing with one such TODO.  Yours, as it
> > were.  From six years ago.  kernel_thread() unexporting.  TODO comments
> > of any form are routinely shat upon and ignored, especially when shuffled
> > away into less read parts of the tree... ;-/
> >
> > I'd rather see it done fs-by-fs.  Starting with something reasonably easy
> > to test - minixfs would do nicely.  Don't get me wrong - I'm all for
> > burying ->truncate(); what I'm worried about is that we'll end up burying
> > the warning about the reasons why vmtruncate() was a bad idea, leaving the
> > functionality exactly as it used to be...
>
> As mentioned I agree with the concern in principle.  Let's start by
> taking Marco's patches for filesystems that use vmtruncate but don't
> actually implement ->truncate.  There's a few I remember offhand, e.g.
> procfs and ufs right now.  Then we can do the actual work required ones
> piece by piece.

Umm... That would be what, procfs?  Frankly, I'm not sure that ATTR_SIZE for
procfs actually should not be silently ignored.  ->i_size there is completely
synthetic - it's not as if truncation would actually change the contents.

And ufs situation is quite different - there vmtruncate() is used only on the
->write_begin() side.  ->setattr() is already vmtruncate-free.  What's needed
there is an analog of e.g. ext2_write_failed().

* Re: [git pull] vfs pile 3
@ 2012-10-14  9:59             ` Marco Stornelli
From: Marco Stornelli @ 2012-10-14  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Viro; +Cc: Christoph Hellwig, Linus Torvalds, linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

Il 13/10/2012 19:07, Al Viro ha scritto:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:04:55PM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 05:01:15PM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
>>> You know, I'm in the middle of dealing with one such TODO.  Yours, as it
>>> were.  From six years ago.  kernel_thread() unexporting.  TODO comments
>>> of any form are routinely shat upon and ignored, especially when shuffled
>>> away into less read parts of the tree... ;-/
>>>
>>> I'd rather see it done fs-by-fs.  Starting with something reasonably easy
>>> to test - minixfs would do nicely.  Don't get me wrong - I'm all for
>>> burying ->truncate(); what I'm worried about is that we'll end up burying
>>> the warning about the reasons why vmtruncate() was a bad idea, leaving the
>>> functionality exactly as it used to be...
>>
>> As mentioned I agree with the concern in principle.  Let's start by
>> taking Marco's patches for filesystems that use vmtruncate but don't
>> actually implement ->truncate.  There's a few I remember offhand, e.g.
>> procfs and ufs right now.  Then we can do the actual work required ones
>> piece by piece.
>
> Umm... That would be what, procfs?  Frankly, I'm not sure that ATTR_SIZE for
> procfs actually should not be silently ignored.  ->i_size there is completely
> synthetic - it's not as if truncation would actually change the contents.
>
> And ufs situation is quite different - there vmtruncate() is used only on the
> ->write_begin() side.  ->setattr() is already vmtruncate-free.  What's needed
> there is an analog of e.g. ext2_write_failed().

I'm open to change the series and give any help. My original idea was to
do a cleanup patch and after that give to each fs maintainer the
possibility to do ad-hoc fix. Each fs  maintainer has got a deep
knowledge of its fs so it was a safe approach from testing point of view
and so on. However if you tell me that in this case another approach is
better is ok for me. I'll fix the patches according to the comments of
Christoph.

Regards,

Marco

* [git pull] vfs, pile 3
@ 2018-06-04  1:12 Al Viro
From: Al Viro @ 2018-06-04  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: linux-fsdevel, linux-kernel

	Christoph's proc_create_... cleanups series.

The following changes since commit 67b8d5c7081221efa252e111cd52532ec6d4266f:

  Linux 4.17-rc5 (2018-05-13 16:15:17 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs.git hch.procfs

for you to fetch changes up to 5ef03dbd91855544cd4c7c1910c3ef5226ee87e8:

  xfs, proc: hide unused xfs procfs helpers (2018-05-25 20:43:08 -0400)

Arnd Bergmann (1):
      xfs, proc: hide unused xfs procfs helpers

Christoph Hellwig (43):
      net/can: single_open_net needs to be paired with single_release_net
      proc: introduce a proc_pid_ns helper
      proc: don't detour through seq->private to get the inode
      proc: simplify proc_register calling conventions
      proc: add a proc_create_reg helper
      proc: introduce proc_create_seq{,_data}
      proc: introduce proc_create_seq_private
      proc: introduce proc_create_single{,_data}
      ipv{4,6}/udp{,lite}: simplify proc registration
      ipv{4,6}/tcp: simplify procfs registration
      ipv{4,6}/ping: simplify proc file creation
      ipv{4,6}/raw: simplify ѕeq_file code
      ipv6/flowlabel: simplify pid namespace lookup
      net/kcm: simplify proc registration
      netfilter/x_tables: simplify ѕeq_file code
      net: move seq_file_single_net to <linux/seq_file_net.h>
      proc: introduce proc_create_net{,_data}
      proc: introduce proc_create_net_single
      acpi/battery: simplify procfs code
      sgi-gru: simplify procfs code
      megaraid: simplify procfs code
      sg: simplify procfs code
      afs: simplify procfs code
      ext4: simplify procfs code
      jfs: simplify procfs code
      staging/rtl8192u: simplify procfs code
      resource: switch to proc_create_seq_data
      drbd: switch to proc_create_single
      rtc/proc: switch to proc_create_single_data
      bonding: switch to proc_create_seq_data
      hostap: switch to proc_create_{seq,single}_data
      neigh: switch to proc_create_seq_data
      netfilter/xt_hashlimit: switch to proc_create_{seq,single}_data
      netfilter/x_tables: switch to proc_create_seq_private
      bluetooth: switch to proc_create_seq_data
      atm: simplify procfs code
      atm: switch to proc_create_seq_private
      isdn: replace ->proc_fops with ->proc_show
      ide: remove ide_driver_proc_write
      ide: replace ->proc_fops with ->proc_show
      tty: replace ->proc_fops with ->proc_show
      proc: update SIZEOF_PDE_INLINE_NAME for the new pde fields
      isdn/gigaset: add back gigaset_procinfo assignment

 arch/arm/kernel/dma.c                              |  14 +-
 arch/arm/kernel/swp_emulate.c                      |  15 +-
 arch/arm/mach-rpc/ecard.c                          |  16 +-
 arch/ia64/hp/common/sba_iommu.c                    |  15 +-
 arch/ia64/hp/sim/simserial.c                       |  15 +-
 arch/ia64/kernel/palinfo.c                         |  16 +-
 arch/ia64/kernel/perfmon.c                         |  16 +-
 arch/ia64/kernel/salinfo.c                         |  42 ++---
 arch/ia64/sn/kernel/sn2/prominfo_proc.c            |  32 +---
 arch/ia64/sn/kernel/sn2/sn_proc_fs.c               |  62 +------
 arch/m68k/kernel/setup_mm.c                        |  14 +-
 arch/mips/pci/ops-pmcmsp.c                         |  28 +---
 arch/mips/sibyte/common/bus_watcher.c              |  16 +-
 arch/parisc/kernel/pci-dma.c                       |  17 +-
 arch/parisc/kernel/pdc_chassis.c                   |  14 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/eeh.c                          |  14 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/rtas-proc.c                    |  32 +---
 arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/spufs/sched.c          |  14 +-
 arch/s390/kernel/sysinfo.c                         |  28 +---
 arch/sh/drivers/dma/dma-api.c                      |  14 +-
 arch/sparc/kernel/ioport.c                         |  19 +--
 arch/um/drivers/ubd_kern.c                         |  16 +-
 arch/x86/kernel/apm_32.c                           |  15 +-
 arch/xtensa/platforms/iss/console.c                |  15 +-
 block/genhd.c                                      |  28 +---
 crypto/proc.c                                      |  14 +-
 drivers/acpi/ac.c                                  |  21 +--
 drivers/acpi/battery.c                             | 121 +++-----------
 drivers/acpi/button.c                              |  19 +--
 drivers/block/DAC960.c                             |  49 +-----
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_int.h                      |   2 +-
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_main.c                     |   3 +-
 drivers/block/drbd/drbd_proc.c                     |  34 +---
 drivers/block/pktcdvd.c                            |  14 +-
 drivers/block/ps3vram.c                            |  17 +-
 drivers/char/apm-emulation.c                       |  15 +-
 drivers/char/ds1620.c                              |  14 +-
 drivers/char/efirtc.c                              |  15 +-
 drivers/char/misc.c                                |  15 +-
 drivers/char/nvram.c                               |  15 +-
 drivers/char/pcmcia/synclink_cs.c                  |  15 +-
 drivers/char/rtc.c                                 |  19 +--
 drivers/char/toshiba.c                             |  15 +-
 drivers/connector/connector.c                      |  15 +-
 drivers/ide/ide-cd.c                               |  15 +-
 drivers/ide/ide-disk_proc.c                        |  62 +------
 drivers/ide/ide-floppy_proc.c                      |  17 +-
 drivers/ide/ide-proc.c                             | 182 ++-------------------
 drivers/ide/ide-tape.c                             |  17 +-
 drivers/input/misc/hp_sdc_rtc.c                    |  14 +-
 drivers/isdn/capi/capi.c                           |  30 +---
 drivers/isdn/capi/capidrv.c                        |  15 +-
 drivers/isdn/capi/kcapi.c                          |   3 +-
 drivers/isdn/capi/kcapi_proc.c                     |  80 +--------
 drivers/isdn/gigaset/capi.c                        |  15 +-
 drivers/isdn/hardware/avm/avmcard.h                |   4 +-
 drivers/isdn/hardware/avm/b1.c                     |  17 +-
 drivers/isdn/hardware/avm/b1dma.c                  |  17 +-
 drivers/isdn/hardware/avm/b1isa.c                  |   2 +-
 drivers/isdn/hardware/avm/b1pci.c                  |   4 +-
 drivers/isdn/hardware/avm/b1pcmcia.c               |   2 +-
 drivers/isdn/hardware/avm/c4.c                     |  15 +-
 drivers/isdn/hardware/avm/t1isa.c                  |   2 +-
 drivers/isdn/hardware/avm/t1pci.c                  |   2 +-
 drivers/isdn/hardware/eicon/capimain.c             |  15 +-
 drivers/isdn/hardware/eicon/diva_didd.c            |  17 +-
 drivers/isdn/hardware/eicon/divasi.c               |  17 +-
 drivers/isdn/hysdn/hycapi.c                        |  15 +-
 drivers/macintosh/via-pmu.c                        |  57 ++-----
 drivers/media/pci/saa7164/saa7164-core.c           |  14 +-
 drivers/media/pci/zoran/videocodec.c               |  16 +-
 drivers/message/fusion/mptbase.c                   |  57 ++-----
 drivers/misc/sgi-gru/gruprocfs.c                   |  81 ++-------
 drivers/mmc/core/sdio_uart.c                       |  15 +-
 drivers/mtd/mtdcore.c                              |  14 +-
 drivers/net/bonding/bond_procfs.c                  |  36 +---
 drivers/net/hamradio/bpqether.c                    |  16 +-
 drivers/net/hamradio/scc.c                         |  17 +-
 drivers/net/hamradio/yam.c                         |  16 +-
 drivers/net/ppp/pppoe.c                            |  18 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/atmel/atmel.c                 |  15 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/intersil/hostap/hostap_ap.c   |  86 ++--------
 drivers/net/wireless/intersil/hostap/hostap_hw.c   |  17 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/intersil/hostap/hostap_proc.c | 143 +++-------------
 drivers/net/wireless/ray_cs.c                      |  15 +-
 drivers/nubus/proc.c                               |  51 +-----
 drivers/parisc/ccio-dma.c                          |  34 +---
 drivers/parisc/sba_iommu.c                         |  32 +---
 drivers/pci/proc.c                                 |  17 +-
 drivers/platform/x86/toshiba_acpi.c                |  17 +-
 drivers/pnp/pnpbios/proc.c                         |  78 +--------
 drivers/rtc/rtc-proc.c                             |  33 +---
 drivers/s390/block/dasd_proc.c                     |  17 +-
 drivers/s390/char/tape_proc.c                      |  19 +--
 drivers/scsi/megaraid.c                            | 140 ++++------------
 drivers/scsi/megaraid.h                            |  12 --
 drivers/scsi/sg.c                                  | 124 ++------------
 drivers/staging/comedi/proc.c                      |  18 +-
 drivers/staging/fwserial/fwserial.c                |  15 +-
 drivers/staging/ipx/ipx_proc.c                     |  45 +----
 drivers/staging/rtl8192u/r8192U_core.c             |  67 ++------
 drivers/tty/amiserial.c                            |  15 +-
 drivers/tty/cyclades.c                             |  15 +-
 drivers/tty/serial/serial_core.c                   |  15 +-
 drivers/tty/synclink.c                             |  15 +-
 drivers/tty/synclink_gt.c                          |  15 +-
 drivers/tty/synclinkmp.c                           |  15 +-
 drivers/tty/tty_ldisc.c                            |  15 +-
 drivers/usb/gadget/udc/at91_udc.c                  |  16 +-
 drivers/usb/gadget/udc/fsl_udc_core.c              |  18 +-
 drivers/usb/gadget/udc/goku_udc.c                  |  18 +-
 drivers/usb/gadget/udc/omap_udc.c                  |  15 +-
 drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c                    |  15 +-
 drivers/video/fbdev/core/fbmem.c                   |  15 +-
 drivers/video/fbdev/via/viafbdev.c                 |  17 +-
 drivers/zorro/proc.c                               |  17 +-
 fs/afs/proc.c                                      | 134 ++-------------
 fs/cachefiles/proc.c                               |  19 +--
 fs/cifs/cifs_debug.c                               |  15 +-
 fs/ext4/ext4.h                                     |   2 +-
 fs/ext4/mballoc.c                                  |  29 +---
 fs/ext4/sysfs.c                                    |  49 +-----
 fs/f2fs/sysfs.c                                    |  29 +---
 fs/filesystems.c                                   |  14 +-
 fs/fscache/histogram.c                             |  17 +-
 fs/fscache/internal.h                              |   5 +-
 fs/fscache/proc.c                                  |   8 +-
 fs/fscache/stats.c                                 |  17 +-
 fs/jfs/jfs_debug.c                                 |  43 ++---
 fs/jfs/jfs_debug.h                                 |  10 +-
 fs/jfs/jfs_logmgr.c                                |  14 +-
 fs/jfs/jfs_metapage.c                              |  14 +-
 fs/jfs/jfs_txnmgr.c                                |  28 +---
 fs/jfs/jfs_xtree.c                                 |  14 +-
 fs/locks.c                                         |  16 +-
 fs/nfs/client.c                                    |  43 +----
 fs/proc/array.c                                    |  23 +--
 fs/proc/base.c                                     |  18 +-
 fs/proc/cmdline.c                                  |  14 +-
 fs/proc/consoles.c                                 |  14 +-
 fs/proc/devices.c                                  |  14 +-
 fs/proc/generic.c                                  | 148 ++++++++++++-----
 fs/proc/internal.h                                 |  13 +-
 fs/proc/interrupts.c                               |  14 +-
 fs/proc/loadavg.c                                  |  14 +-
 fs/proc/meminfo.c                                  |  14 +-
 fs/proc/nommu.c                                    |  14 +-
 fs/proc/proc_net.c                                 | 104 ++++++++----
 fs/proc/proc_tty.c                                 |  22 +--
 fs/proc/self.c                                     |   4 +-
 fs/proc/softirqs.c                                 |  14 +-
 fs/proc/thread_self.c                              |   4 +-
 fs/proc/uptime.c                                   |  14 +-
 fs/proc/version.c                                  |  14 +-
 fs/reiserfs/procfs.c                               |  16 +-
 fs/xfs/xfs_stats.c                                 |  33 +---
 include/linux/atalk.h                              |   7 +-
 include/linux/ide.h                                |   6 +-
 include/linux/isdn/capilli.h                       |   2 +-
 include/linux/proc_fs.h                            |  39 +++++
 include/linux/seq_file_net.h                       |  19 ++-
 include/linux/tty.h                                |   3 +-
 include/linux/tty_driver.h                         |   2 +-
 include/net/ax25.h                                 |   5 +-
 include/net/ip6_fib.h                              |  10 +-
 include/net/ip_vs.h                                |  12 --
 include/net/netrom.h                               |   5 +-
 include/net/phonet/pn_dev.h                        |   4 +-
 include/net/ping.h                                 |  11 --
 include/net/raw.h                                  |   4 -
 include/net/rose.h                                 |   6 +-
 include/net/tcp.h                                  |  11 +-
 include/net/udp.h                                  |  20 +--
 kernel/cgroup/cgroup-internal.h                    |   2 +-
 kernel/cgroup/cgroup-v1.c                          |  14 +-
 kernel/cgroup/cgroup.c                             |   2 +-
 kernel/dma.c                                       |  14 +-
 kernel/exec_domain.c                               |  14 +-
 kernel/irq/proc.c                                  |  82 ++--------
 kernel/locking/lockdep_proc.c                      |  45 +----
 kernel/resource.c                                  |  43 +----
 kernel/sched/debug.c                               |  28 +---
 kernel/sched/stats.c                               |  15 +-
 kernel/time/timer_list.c                           |  16 +-
 mm/vmalloc.c                                       |  21 +--
 mm/vmstat.c                                        |  56 +------
 net/8021q/vlanproc.c                               |  39 +----
 net/appletalk/aarp.c                               |  20 +--
 net/appletalk/atalk_proc.c                         |  51 +-----
 net/atm/br2684.c                                   |  14 +-
 net/atm/clip.c                                     |  17 +-
 net/atm/lec.c                                      |  15 +-
 net/atm/proc.c                                     | 131 ++-------------
 net/ax25/af_ax25.c                                 |  21 +--
 net/ax25/ax25_route.c                              |  15 +-
 net/ax25/ax25_uid.c                                |  15 +-
 net/bluetooth/af_bluetooth.c                       |  40 +----
 net/bluetooth/cmtp/capi.c                          |  14 +-
 net/can/bcm.c                                      |  16 +-
 net/can/proc.c                                     | 127 +++-----------
 net/core/neighbour.c                               |  31 +---
 net/core/net-procfs.c                              |  65 +-------
 net/core/sock.c                                    |  16 +-
 net/decnet/af_decnet.c                             |  17 +-
 net/decnet/dn_dev.c                                |  15 +-
 net/decnet/dn_neigh.c                              |  18 +-
 net/decnet/dn_route.c                              |  19 +--
 net/ipv4/arp.c                                     |  17 +-
 net/ipv4/fib_trie.c                                |  48 +-----
 net/ipv4/igmp.c                                    |  33 +---
 net/ipv4/ipconfig.c                                |  14 +-
 net/ipv4/ipmr.c                                    |  32 +---
 net/ipv4/ping.c                                    |  52 +-----
 net/ipv4/proc.c                                    |  48 +-----
 net/ipv4/raw.c                                     |  45 ++---
 net/ipv4/route.c                                   |  15 +-
 net/ipv4/tcp_ipv4.c                                |  82 +++-------
 net/ipv4/udp.c                                     |  94 ++++-------
 net/ipv4/udplite.c                                 |  21 +--
 net/ipv6/addrconf.c                                |  16 +-
 net/ipv6/anycast.c                                 |  16 +-
 net/ipv6/ip6_fib.c                                 |  18 +-
 net/ipv6/ip6_flowlabel.c                           |  42 +----
 net/ipv6/ip6mr.c                                   |  32 +---
 net/ipv6/mcast.c                                   |  34 +---
 net/ipv6/ping.c                                    |  23 ++-
 net/ipv6/proc.c                                    |  48 +-----
 net/ipv6/raw.c                                     |  15 +-
 net/ipv6/route.c                                   |  26 +--
 net/ipv6/tcp_ipv6.c                                |  22 ++-
 net/ipv6/udp.c                                     |  23 ++-
 net/ipv6/udplite.c                                 |  22 +--
 net/kcm/kcmproc.c                                  |  83 ++--------
 net/key/af_key.c                                   |  16 +-
 net/l2tp/l2tp_ppp.c                                |  22 +--
 net/llc/llc_proc.c                                 |  28 +---
 net/netfilter/ipvs/ip_vs_app.c                     |  16 +-
 net/netfilter/ipvs/ip_vs_conn.c                    |  35 +---
 net/netfilter/ipvs/ip_vs_ctl.c                     |  47 +-----
 net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_expect.c                |  17 +-
 net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_standalone.c            |  33 +---
 net/netfilter/nf_log.c                             |  19 +--
 net/netfilter/nf_synproxy_core.c                   |  17 +-
 net/netfilter/nfnetlink_log.c                      |  18 +-
 net/netfilter/nfnetlink_queue.c                    |  18 +-
 net/netfilter/x_tables.c                           |  95 ++---------
 net/netfilter/xt_hashlimit.c                       |  92 ++---------
 net/netlink/af_netlink.c                           |  18 +-
 net/netrom/af_netrom.c                             |  18 +-
 net/netrom/nr_route.c                              |  29 +---
 net/packet/af_packet.c                             |  17 +-
 net/phonet/pn_dev.c                                |   6 +-
 net/phonet/socket.c                                |  30 +---
 net/rose/af_rose.c                                 |  26 +--
 net/rose/rose_route.c                              |  44 +----
 net/rxrpc/ar-internal.h                            |   4 +-
 net/rxrpc/net_ns.c                                 |   7 +-
 net/rxrpc/proc.c                                   |  31 +---
 net/sched/sch_api.c                                |  14 +-
 net/sctp/objcnt.c                                  |  16 +-
 net/sctp/proc.c                                    |  71 +-------
 net/unix/af_unix.c                                 |  17 +-
 net/wireless/wext-proc.c                           |  17 +-
 net/x25/x25_proc.c                                 |  48 +-----
 net/xfrm/xfrm_proc.c                               |  16 +-
 security/keys/proc.c                               |  34 +---

* Re: [git pull] vfs pile 3
@ 2016-12-23 11:44 ` Al Viro
From: Al Viro @ 2016-12-23 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 12:03:21AM +0000, Al Viro wrote:
> 	Assorted cleanups and fixes all over the place.

Fix for aio compat in !CONFIG_AIO builds folded in, commit message on
seq_file patch unmangled.  Other than that, identical to the previous.

The following changes since commit e93b1cc8a8965da137ffea0b88e5f62fa1d2a9e6:

  Merge branch 'for_linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jack/linux-fs (2016-12-19 08:23:53 -0800)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs.git for-linus

for you to fetch changes up to faf0dcebd7b387187f29ff811d47df465ea4c9f9:

  Merge branch 'work.namespace' into for-linus (2016-12-22 23:04:31 -0500)

Al Viro (7):
      remove a bogus claim about namespace_sem being held by callers of mnt_alloc_id()
      clone_private_mount() doesn't need to touch namespace_sem
      reorganize do_make_slave()
      move aio compat to fs/aio.c
      [iov_iter] fix iterate_all_kinds() on empty iterators
      sg_write()/bsg_write() is not fit to be called under KERNEL_DS
      Merge branch 'work.namespace' into for-linus

Aleksa Sarai (1):
      fs: exec: apply CLOEXEC before changing dumpable task flags

Darrick J. Wong (1):
      vfs: fix isize/pos/len checks for reflink & dedupe

Jeff Layton (1):
      ufs: fix function declaration for ufs_truncate_blocks

Tomasz Majchrzak (1):
      seq_file: reset iterator to first record for zero offset

 block/bsg.c             |  3 ++
 drivers/scsi/sg.c       |  3 ++
 fs/aio.c                | 97 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 fs/compat.c             | 75 --------------------------------------
 fs/exec.c               | 10 ++++-
 fs/namespace.c          |  8 +---
 fs/ocfs2/refcounttree.c |  2 +-
 fs/pnode.c              | 74 ++++++++++++++++++-------------------
 fs/read_write.c         | 18 +++++----
 fs/seq_file.c           |  7 ++++
 fs/ufs/inode.c          |  2 +-
 fs/xfs/xfs_reflink.c    |  2 +-
 include/linux/aio.h     |  5 ---
 kernel/sys_ni.c         |  3 ++
 lib/iov_iter.c          | 55 +++++++++++++---------------

* [git pull] vfs pile 3
@ 2016-12-23  0:03 Al Viro
From: Al Viro @ 2016-12-23  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

	Assorted cleanups and fixes all over the place.

The following changes since commit e93b1cc8a8965da137ffea0b88e5f62fa1d2a9e6:

  Merge branch 'for_linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jack/linux-fs (2016-12-19 08:23:53 -0800)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs.git for-linus

for you to fetch changes up to d0375bfcdd0de588d9f8ee7ac9d2bc93c333e4fe:

  Merge branch 'work.namespace' into for-linus (2016-12-22 19:00:58 -0500)

Al Viro (7):
      remove a bogus claim about namespace_sem being held by callers of mnt_alloc_id()
      clone_private_mount() doesn't need to touch namespace_sem
      reorganize do_make_slave()
      move aio compat to fs/aio.c
      [iov_iter] fix iterate_all_kinds() on empty iterators
      sg_write()/bsg_write() is not fit to be called under KERNEL_DS
      Merge branch 'work.namespace' into for-linus

Aleksa Sarai (1):
      fs: exec: apply CLOEXEC before changing dumpable task flags

Darrick J. Wong (1):
      vfs: fix isize/pos/len checks for reflink & dedupe

Jeff Layton (1):
      ufs: fix function declaration for ufs_truncate_blocks

Miklos Szeredi (1):

@ 2016-08-07 14:00 ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2016-08-07 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 11:46 PM, Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk> wrote:

> I went for the second variant (backmerge), but if you prefer the third one,
> just pull #for-linus-2 and I'll send a separate pull request for the last
> commit.  Or just cherry-pick that last commit from #for-linus after having
> pulled #for-linus-2.

Please don't do back-merges to avoid conflicts. I'd *much* rather just
get the conflict. Especially when it's that trivial.

           Linus

* [git pull] vfs pile 3
@ 2016-08-07  3:46 Al Viro
From: Al Viro @ 2016-08-07  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

Assorted cleanups and fixes; in "trivial API change" department - ->d_compare()
losing 'parent' argument.

I'm not sure if I'd taken the right approach with the last commit; the thing
is, fs/namei.c part has a trivial conflict with the userns changes already
in mainline *and* the posted patch had been against the mainline.  Sure,
I could apply it to this branch, resolve that conflict and let you resolve
the one that would induce on merge.  Or I could backmerge from the point
where userns changes went into mainline and apply as-is, with no conflicts
for anyone.  Or put it into a separate pull request after this pile gets
merged.

I went for the second variant (backmerge), but if you prefer the third one,
just pull #for-linus-2 and I'll send a separate pull request for the last
commit.  Or just cherry-pick that last commit from #for-linus after having
pulled #for-linus-2.

The following changes since commit a867d7349e94b6409b08629886a819f802377e91:

  Merge branch 'for-linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ebiederm/user-namespace (2016-07-29 15:54:19 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs.git for-linus

for you to fetch changes up to 6141b4d64295ec08a1b48c7fcac8a566658cd64f:

  fs: return EPERM on immutable inode (2016-08-03 13:38:11 -0400)

Al Viro (9):
      fold dentry_rcuwalk_invalidate() into its only remaining caller
      fold _d_rehash() and __d_rehash() together
      affs ->d_compare(): don't bother with ->d_inode
      cifs, msdos, vfat, hfs+: don't bother with parent in ->d_compare()
      get rid of 'parent' argument of ->d_compare()
      9p: fix braino introduced in "9p: new helper - v9fs_parent_fid()"
      9p: use clone_fid()
      Merge branch 'for-viro' of git://git.kernel.org/.../mszeredi/vfs into for-linus
      backmerge from mainline to avoid conflict in "fs: return EPERM on immutable inode"

David Howells (1):
      cachefiles: Fix race between inactivating and culling a cache object

Eryu Guan (1):
      fs: return EPERM on immutable inode

Miklos Szeredi (3):
      vfs: fix deadlock in file_remove_privs() on overlayfs
      vfs: remove file_needs_remove_privs()
      vfs: make dentry_needs_remove_privs() internal

 Documentation/filesystems/Locking            |  2 +-
 Documentation/filesystems/porting            |  7 ++++
 Documentation/filesystems/vfs.txt            |  2 +-
 drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/llite/dcache.c |  2 +-
 fs/9p/fid.c                                  | 26 +------------
 fs/9p/fid.h                                  |  9 ++++-
 fs/9p/vfs_inode.c                            |  6 +--
 fs/9p/vfs_inode_dotl.c                       |  2 +-
 fs/9p/xattr.c                                |  4 +-
 fs/adfs/dir.c                                |  2 +-
 fs/affs/amigaffs.c                           |  4 +-
 fs/affs/namei.c                              | 12 +++---
 fs/cachefiles/namei.c                        |  5 ++-
 fs/cifs/dir.c                                |  4 +-
 fs/dcache.c                                  | 55 ++++++++--------------------
 fs/efivarfs/super.c                          |  3 +-
 fs/fat/namei_msdos.c                         |  4 +-
 fs/fat/namei_vfat.c                          |  6 +--
 fs/gfs2/inode.c                              |  2 +-
 fs/hfs/hfs_fs.h                              |  2 +-
 fs/hfs/string.c                              |  2 +-
 fs/hfsplus/hfsplus_fs.h                      |  3 +-
 fs/hfsplus/unicode.c                         |  4 +-
 fs/hpfs/dentry.c                             |  4 +-
 fs/inode.c                                   |  7 ++--
 fs/internal.h                                |  1 +
 fs/isofs/inode.c                             | 15 +++-----
 fs/isofs/namei.c                             |  2 +-
 fs/jfs/namei.c                               |  2 +-
 fs/namei.c                                   |  2 +-
 fs/ncpfs/dir.c                               |  6 +--
 fs/proc/proc_sysctl.c                        |  2 +-
 fs/utimes.c                                  |  3 +-
 fs/xfs/xfs_ioctl.c                           |  2 +-
 include/linux/dcache.h                       |  2 +-
 include/linux/fs.h                           |  5 ---