Hi, If I understand correctly how ioctl declarations works, FS_IOC_GETFLAGS and FS_IOC_SETFLAGS ioctls take a pointer to a long argument, at least according to include/uapi/linux/fs.h: | #define FS_IOC_GETFLAGS _IOR('f', 1, long) | #define FS_IOC_SETFLAGS _IOW('f', 2, long) Not also the 32-bit compat versions of the ioctls takes an int: | #define FS_IOC32_GETFLAGS _IOR('f', 1, int) | #define FS_IOC32_SETFLAGS _IOW('f', 2, int) However on the kernel side, all the filesystem interpret these values as an int. For example in fs/ext4/ioctl.c: | unsigned int flags; | ... | return put_user(flags, (int __user *) arg); | ... | if (get_user(flags, (int __user *) arg)) | ... Most of the userland code seems to pass an int to this ioctl, but a few others (e.g.: bup, libexplain) passes a long. While it doesn't make a difference on little endian machines, it does make a difference on 64-bit big endian machines. Could you please tell me if I am wrong in my analysis or if there is a actually real problem? Thanks, Aurelien -- Aurelien Jarno GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73 aurelien@aurel32.net http://www.aurel32.net