* RE: ovl: set I_CREATING on inode being created
@ 2018-08-17 11:16 Amir Goldstein
From: Amir Goldstein @ 2018-08-17 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miklos Szeredi; +Cc: Al Viro, overlayfs, linux-fsdevel

Miklos,

I have 2 questions/comments w.r.t. commit 9475938ce8cf
("ovl: set I_CREATING on inode being created") in overlayfs-next.

1. insert_inode_locked4() sets I_CREATING not inside
spinlock and your patch sets it inside spinlock.
technically, I guess the spinlock taken inside inode_insert5()
to set I_NEW and insert to hash probably provides the needed
barriers. Do you think we should choose one of the practices
and stick with it??

2. I find it nicer if ovl_new_inode() would return an I_CREATING
inode, to conform with the users of inode_insert_locked4() (e.g.
btrfs_new_inode()) this will conform with the pattern:
inode = XXXfs_new_inode(...);
d_instantiate_new(dentry, inode);
The call site d_make_root(ovl_new_inode(sb, S_IFDIR, 0));
could either use a variant of ovl_new_inode() or we could
let ovl_inode_init() clear I_CREATING.

Both those issues could be addressed after rc1.

Thanks,
Amir.