* [RESEND4, PATCH 0/2] fuse: don't stuck clients on retrieve_notify with size > max_write
@ 2019-03-27 10:15 Kirill Smelkov
From: Kirill Smelkov @ 2019-03-27 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miklos Szeredi, Miklos Szeredi
  Cc: Han-Wen Nienhuys, Jakob Unterwurzacher, Kirill Tkhai,
	Andrew Morton, linux-fsdevel, linux-kernel, fuse-devel,
	Kirill Smelkov

Miklos,

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 01:45:20PM +0300, Kirill Smelkov wrote:
> Miklos,
>
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 02:47:57PM +0300, Kirill Smelkov wrote:

> > > Sure, if it's only adds a couple of lines.   Adding more than say ten
> > > lines for such a non-bug fix is definitely excessive.
> >
> > Ok, thanks. Please consider applying the following patch. (It's a bit
> > pity to hear the problem is not considered to be a bug, but anyway).
> >
> > I will also send the second patch as another mail, since I could not
> > made `git am --scissors` to apply several patched extracted from one
> > mail successfully.
>
> [...]
>
> On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 12:34:21PM +0300, Kirill Smelkov wrote:
> > Ping. Miklos, is there anything wrong with this patch and its
> > second counterpart?
>
> As we were talking here are those patches. The first one cuts notify_retrieve
> request to max_write and is one line only. The second one returns error to
> filesystem server if it is buggy and does sys_read with buffer size <
> max_write. It is 2 lines of code and 7 lines of comments.
>
> I still think that the patches fix real bugs. It is a bug if server behaviour
> is a bit non-confirming or simply on an edge of being correct or questionable,
> and instead of properly getting plain error from kernel, the whole system gets
> stuck. It is a bug because bug amplification factor here is at least one order
> of magnitude instead of staying ~1x.
>
> I'm sending the patches for the third time already, but did not get any
> feedback. Could you please have a look?

It's been ~ 1 month already since we agreed on the approach and initial
postings of the patches that follow the agreed way:

https://lwn.net/ml/linux-fsdevel/20190228114757.GA2796@deco.navytux.spb.ru/

Since then the patches were resent several times but without getting any
feedback from you.

Is there anything wrong with the patches? Could you please have a look?
I understand everyone is busy but 1 month seems to be too much and I'm
wondering whether maybe my mails got classified as spam or something
else on your side.

Thanks beforehand,
Kirill

Kirill Smelkov (2):
  fuse: retrieve: cap requested size to negotiated max_write
  fuse: require /dev/fuse reads to have enough buffer capacity as negotiated

 fs/fuse/dev.c | 12 +++++++++++-

2.21.0.392.gf8f6787159