From: "Pali Rohár" <pali.rohar@gmail.com>
To: Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>
Cc: linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org,
	"Steven J. Magnani" <steve.magnani@digidescorp.com>
Subject: Re: udf: Commit b085fbe2ef7fa (udf: Fix crash during mount) broke CD-RW support
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 12:31:47 +0100	[thread overview]

On Friday 17 January 2020 12:22:54 Jan Kara wrote:
> On Thu 16-01-20 16:46:43, Pali Rohár wrote:
> > On Monday 13 January 2020 12:48:38 Jan Kara wrote:

> > > Thanks for detailed info. Yes, UDF 2.60 spec is why I've added the check
> > > you mentioned. I was not aware that the phrasing was not there in earlier
> > > versions and frankly even the UDF 2.60 spec is already 15 years old... But
> > > the fact that there are tools creating non-compliant disks certainly
> > > changes the picture :)
> >
> > I tested also Nero Linux 4 (Nero provides free trial version which is
> > fully working even in 2020) and it creates 1.50 CD-RW discs in the same
> > way with Rewritable partition. Interestingly for 2.50 and 2.60 it does
> > not use Overwritable, but Writeonce (yes, for CD-RW with Spartable).
> >
> > And because previous UDF specification do not say anything about it, I
> > would not sat that those discs are non-compliant.
> >
> > Moreover, is there any tool (for Linux or other system) which uses
> > Overwritable partition type for CD-RW discs? All which I tested uses
> > Rewritable.
>
> No. But CD-RW means that the media needs "erasing" before overwriting so
> using 'Rewritable' partitions there is fine and in the kernel we do want to
> force such mounts read-only because we don't support "erasing", do we?

I guess that this formulation as you wrote is the reason why all
formatting tools decided to use Overwritable type for CD-RW.

But it is not completely truth. You need erase CD-RW before formatting,
not before rewriting blocks on it. And kernel already supports rewriting
one random block on CD-RW media via pktcdvd.ko layer (part of mainline
kernel).

So to mount CD-RW media with UDF fs on it in R/W mode, you need:

1) erase & format CD-RW media (e.g. via cdrwtool)
2) setup pktcdvd layer for CD-RW media (e.g. via pktsetup or via /sys)
3) mount pktcdvd block device with udf fs

So, kernel supports UDF on CD-RW media also in R/W mode, just it is not
straightforward as for other hard disk block devices.

> > > Yeah, we should maintain compatibility with older tools where sanely
> > > possible. So I agree with what you propose. Allow writing to
> > > PD_ACCESS_TYPE_REWRITABLE disks if they don't use 'Freed Space
> > > Bitmap/Table'. Will you send a patch or should I do the update?
> >
> > Could you do it, please?
>
> Sure, attached.
>
> > Also question is, what with those 2.50 CD-RW Writonce partitions and
> > with Spartable which creates Nero Linux?
>
> Well, we force them read-only and that's what we should do because we don't
> support CD-RW in the kernel... But I may be missing something.

We support CD-RW in kernel, but now I realized that we do not support
UDF 2.50 in R/W mode. So this should be OK for now (until UDF 2.50 R/W
mode is implemented).

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com