From: Jerome Glisse <jglisse@redhat.com>
To: Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk>
Cc: Michal Hocko <mhocko@kernel.org>,
	lsf-pc@lists.linux-foundation.org, linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org,
	linux-mm@kvack.org, Benjamin LaHaise <bcrl@kvack.org>
Subject: Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Do not pin pages for various direct-io scheme
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 09:40:59 -0800	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 10:38:56AM -0700, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 1/22/20 10:28 AM, Jerome Glisse wrote:

> >> That's not currently a concern for io_uring, as it disallows file backed
> >> pages for the IO buffers that are being registered.

> >> That may be fine for others users, but I don't think it'll apply
> >> to io_uring. I can't see anyone selecting that flag, unless you're
> >> doing something funky where you're registering a substantial amount
> >> of the system memory for IO buffers. And I don't think that's going
> >> to be a super valid use case...
> >
> > Given dataset are getting bigger and bigger i would assume that we
> > will have people who want to use io-uring with large buffer.

> >> Would that really work? The buffer could very well be idle right when
> >> you check, but wanting to do IO the instant you decide you can do
> >> background work on it. Additionally, that would require accounting
> >> on when the buffers are inflight, which is exactly the kind of
> >> overhead we're trying to avoid to begin with.

> >> I think it'd be useful to try and understand the use case first.
> >> If we're pinning a small percentage of the system memory, do we
> >> really care at all? Isn't it completely fine to just ignore?
> >
> > My main motivation is migration in NUMA system, if the process that
> > did register buffer get migrated to a different node then it might
> > actualy end up with bad performance because its io buffer are still
> > on hold node. I am not sure we want to tell application developer to
> > constantly monitor which node they are on and to re-register buffer
> > after process migration to allow for memory migration.
>
> If the process truly cares, would it not have pinned itself to that
> node?

Not necesarily, programmer can not thing of everything and also process
pinning defeat load balancing. Moreover we now have to thing about deep
memory topology ie by the time you register the buffer the page backing
it might be from slower memory and then all your io and CPU access will
be stuck on using that.

Cheers,
Jérôme