From: Eric Biggers <ebiggers@kernel.org>
To: Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com>
Cc: "Darrick J. Wong" <djwong@kernel.org>,
	Bagas Sanjaya <bagasdotme@gmail.com>,
	Pengfei Xu <pengfei.xu@intel.com>,
	linux-xfs@vger.kernel.org, linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org,
	heng.su@intel.com, dchinner@redhat.com, lkp@intel.com,
	Linux Regressions <regressions@lists.linux.dev>
Subject: Re: [Syzkaller & bisect] There is BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference in xfs_extent_free_diff_items in v6.4-rc3
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 23:46:12 +0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 08:16:58AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> config XFS_SUPPORT_V4
>         bool "Support deprecated V4 (crc=0) format"
>         depends on XFS_FS
>         default y
>         help
>           The V4 filesystem format lacks certain features that are supported
>           by the V5 format, such as metadata checksumming, strengthened
>           metadata verification, and the ability to store timestamps past the
>           year 2038.  Because of this, the V4 format is deprecated.  All users
>           should upgrade by backing up their files, reformatting, and restoring
>           from the backup.
>
>           Administrators and users can detect a V4 filesystem by running
>           xfs_info against a filesystem mountpoint and checking for a string
>           beginning with "crc=".  If the string "crc=0" is found, the
>           filesystem is a V4 filesystem.  If no such string is found, please
>           upgrade xfsprogs to the latest version and try again.
>
>           This option will become default N in September 2025.  Support for the
>           V4 format will be removed entirely in September 2030.  Distributors
>           can say N here to withdraw support earlier.
>
>           To continue supporting the old V4 format (crc=0), say Y.
>           To close off an attack surface, say N.
>
> This was added almost 3 years ago in mid-2020. We're more than half
> way through the deprecation period and then we're going to turn off
> v4 support by default. At this point, nobody should be using v4
> filesystems in new production systems, and those that are should be
> preparing for upstream and distro support to be withdraw in the next
> couple of years...

Great to see that this exists now and there is a specific deprecation plan!

> > Then you could just tell the people fuzzing XFS filesystem images
> > that they need to use that option.  That would save everyone a lot of time.
> > (To be clear, I'm not arguing for the XFS policy on v4 filesystems being right
> > or wrong; that's really not something I'd like to get into again...  I'm just
> > saying that if that's indeed your policy, this is what you should do.)
>
> It should be obvious by now that we've already done this. 3 years
> ago, in fact. And yet we are still having the same problems. Maybe
> this helps you understand the level of frustration we have with all
> the people running fuzzing bots out there....

I don't see evidence that this actually happened, though perhaps we are not
looking in the same places.  https://lore.kernel.org/all/?q=XFS_SUPPORT_V4
brings up little except the original patch thread, nor did
https://github.com/search?q=XFS_SUPPORT_V4&type=issues find anything.

Anyway, I took 3 minutes to file an issue in the syzkaller repo
(https://github.com/google/syzkaller/issues/3918), so at least this should get
resolved for syzbot soon.

- Eric